A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2001 Audi A4 Quattro No Start,No Spark do to a reverse Jumper Cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Audi A4 Quattro No Start,No Spark do to a reverse Jumper Cable

Hello everyone. Well this is my first Audi and it was eventually given to me. So to make a long story short, I accidentally reversed the jumper cable when trying to put the windows up since the battery was dead. The car had started up fine and ran after the first jump and had to shut it down because it started to overheat. But i forgot to rolled the windows down and then tried to jump the battery to made a rookie mistake.

Now the car won't start. I have check the fuses and #29 has no power. I check the fuel pump relay and it does click. But i don't hear the pump running. So I took the cap off and manually push on the relay and i can hear the pump running.

I've tested the spark plugs with a spare plug and use the block for ground and getting no spark.

I've also check on the ecu and there are two relays. #30 seems to have a burn smell to it after taking the cap off and i have replace it with a use one from the junk yard. I have also replaced the fuel pump relay.

After all this still it just cranks and doesn't start. I went to the junk yard today and got another ecu. Put that in and still no start..

It seems i am getting power to the fuses except #29 which is ecu.. but the other fuse do come on if i manually activate the fuel pump relay.

I hope all of this make some sense. If anyone can guided me on what to check on next would be great.

BTW i also used a code scanner and got P0600 with the original ecu and also the one i got from the junk yard.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you remove the panel covering the relays on the driver side, which it sounds like you have off already. If you look up above all the relays, there are two 15 amp fuses for engine management. Also I think some models have a fuseable link in the positive cable to the battery.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
if you remove the panel covering the relays on the driver side, which it sounds like you have off already. If you look up above all the relays, there are two 15 amp fuses for engine management. Also I think some models have a fuseable link in the positive cable to the battery.
thanks for the reply. I'll double check and see if i missed any. I tried today to do a bypass and power some of the fuse directly. it looks like all the fuse were powered except #32 i believe and i decided to also direct power it. still no luck with starting. I got a odb2 scanner and all i keep getting is P0600 which only means its not talking to the ecu. I even tried another ecu and still getting the same result. I replace just about every relay and the one i did notice is #30 next to the ecu. i can smell that it burnt. So i replaced it and there's a 15amp fuse next to it which did not burn out. At the moment its not getting any power. I even jumped that and still no luck starting. Would testing the crankshaft sensor help? at the moment i feel there's a lack of power to the ecu somewhere or a break in circuit.
any advice would be great. I am waiting for a thorough repair book to help me trouble shoot and trace the wiring.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Still no luck. Anyone got any pointers? It seem I am not getting any power to the ecu fuses so i jump some power to the fuses and still no luck starting. Also I do not get any "Check Engine Light" but other indicators do come on. I got a MAXSCAN VAG405 VAG 405 and still could not connect. Getting no link. Could it be the ECU is bad because i am not getting any CEL. Will this come up even if the ecu fuses not getting power?

I got another ecu from the junk yard with exact year and model. still the same issue. Any help or suggestions is appreciate.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by blazemma
Still no luck. Anyone got any pointers? It seem I am not getting any power to the ecu fuses so i jump some power to the fuses and still no luck starting. Also I do not get any "Check Engine Light" but other indicators do come on. I got a MAXSCAN VAG405 VAG 405 and still could not connect. Getting no link. Could it be the ECU is bad because i am not getting any CEL. Will this come up even if the ecu fuses not getting power?

I got another ecu from the junk yard with exact year and model. still the same issue. Any help or suggestions is appreciate.
did you figure it out? i have exact same issue
Old 06-14-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

did you figure it out? i have exact same issue
Old 12-22-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hello

Was wondering if you ever found out the problem I’m having the same issue