A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99 A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 A4

Looking at buying my son a car and never owned an Audi.
Nothing expensive, he's only 17. Saw a 1999 Audi A4 with 99,000 miles on it. Seller wants 2600.

A few issues:
Rear bearings
Digital speedometer isn't working
Driver side lower trim is missing

Now I know not to expect a new car for that kind of money but how expensive are those repairs? And do I deduct what it would cost to fix for the asking price?

Thanks for your time,

Daniel
Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AudiOrNah
Nothing expensive, he's only 17. Saw a 1999 Audi A4 with 99,000 miles on it. Seller wants 2600.

A few issues:
Rear bearings

Now I know not to expect a new car for that kind of money but how expensive are those repairs? And do I deduct what it would cost to fix for the asking price?

Thanks for your time,

Daniel
Hi Daniel, Tanin Auto Electronix here! We are vendors on the forum and would like to help offer you some assistance on this potential purchase. When you mention that the digital speedometer isn't working, to clarify, do you mean that the LCD is no longer working?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tanin Auto
Hi Daniel, Tanin Auto Electronix here! We are vendors on the forum and would like to help offer you some assistance on this potential purchase. When you mention that the digital speedometer isn't working, to clarify, do you mean that the LCD is no longer working?
There was nothing showing on the dash/LCD as far as the speed.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There is no digital speedometer, only the usual analog dial type with a needle. Just like the tachometer. In the center is an LCD info area, which is common to go bad in this age car. They can be repaired easily. You remove it and send it out. Lots of people do this repair. Check out ModuleMaster as an example. Or, just ignore it, many of us do. Still a great car. Just understand an Audi requires maintenance, especially at this age. If you do not DIY this can be expensive. This was not a cheap, simple car when new. Repair and maintenance will run more than a cheaper car.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by clancy
There is no digital speedometer, only the usual analog dial type with a needle. Just like the tachometer. In the center is an LCD info area, which is common to go bad in this age car. They can be repaired easily. You remove it and send it out. Lots of people do this repair. Check out ModuleMaster as an example. Or, just ignore it, many of us do. Still a great car. Just understand an Audi requires maintenance, especially at this age. If you do not DIY this can be expensive. This was not a cheap, simple car when new. Repair and maintenance will run more than a cheaper car.
Clancy thanks a lot for the info I really appreciate it.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Former Vendor

There was nothing showing on the dash/LCD as far as the speed.
This is a repair that we can help you out with. Here is the link to our repair service:

Audi A4 A6 S4 TT Allroad Gauge Cluster Rebuild

Let us know if you have any other questions that we can help out with.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear wheel bearings should cost about 200-250 per wheel parts and labor from any shop, if its quattro. If its 2wd car then probably cheaper. The lower trim on the doors can be had on ebay from Latvia, they have reproduction parts and a whole set of 4 is only like 100 bucks.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

A few issues:
Rear bearings

Thanks for your time,

Daniel
We bought our son a '99 A4 1.8T fwd 5-speed for his first car back in 2011. First project was a timing belt change, new plugs, and send the ABS module out for rebuild.

Had to do numerous projects over the years but it's a great DIY car if you are at all handy with a wrench. He's still driving it but we have had to do a fair amount of work including replacing the driver's seat bottom cover, rear shocks, headliner, speakers and amp, front control arms, axles, rear coolant manifold. We've DIY'd it all.

It seems like a nice safe car. The only negative is the lack of traction/stability control, but then again, it's still safer than the Corvair my folks put me in when I was 16.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

i'm late to the discussion, but be careful because with the malfunctioning cluster it will not pass inspection in new york and new jersey. i'm sure other states have similar dmv rules