A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

New Suspension Mods

Old 02-16-1999, 05:13 AM
Jay J

Default New Suspension Mods

OK... I just had H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein Sport Shocks installed on my 99 1.8t. Now I have a question or two. I'll first start by saying that handling and performance of the car is great; there basically is no lean, but ride comfort has changed drastically. I seem to feel every bump in the road which really sucks because I live in San Francisco where the streets really suck too. It's almost impossible to play CD's in my car now because they skip everytime I hit a bump. The ride isn't bouncy at all; it just feels like it's planted on the ground. <br>My question is this: what happens to the ride the longer I have these suspension mods; does it get softer?<br>Also, I seem to be scraping that plastic shell underneath the front bumper everytime I enter a driveway. Has anyone ever removed it or is it recommended not too.<br>I hope these aren't stupid questions. <p>Jay J<br>99 1.8T Tip
Old 02-16-1999, 05:39 AM
Sean G

What settings did you use on the shocks?
Old 02-16-1999, 05:45 AM
shaun

Default Get used to it, cuz it won't change.

Unless you have adjustable Bilstein's, but then it won't change much.<br>
Old 02-16-1999, 06:45 AM
Jay J

It's on the lowest setting on the rear
Old 02-16-1999, 07:20 AM
JC M.

Default Yeah i just did the same and i feel about 80% of the road

I purchased H&R race springs and bil sport struts. my set up is 3 in the front and 4 in the rear. the car is very planted on the ground. fairly smooth unless you can visibly see the pot holes then it is a nightmare. over all the comfort is the same as my old sport suspension i had in the car before. i live in LA so we have our good streets and our bad streets.<p>BTW what tires are you using? I have tried Yokohama S1 and the AVS int. both tires are superb in dry traction and wet but are very very harsh in comfort. right now i am using P7000 the summer tires. these tires are soft and absorb alot of the bumps. I am impressed with these tires i even have 18" wheels.<p>Good luck and give it about 3 weeks. when i rolled off the lot the car was very very stiff now after 1,000 miles later it has calmed down abit.<p>Good luck!<p>JC M.
Old 02-16-1999, 07:36 AM
Jay J

Default Re: Yeah i just did the same and i feel about 80% of the road

So it should get softer as time goes by, right?. Believe it or not but I still have the stock 8 spoke 15 inch rims with the tires it came with. I plan on getting rims and new tires some day.... hopefully soon<p>Jay J
Old 02-16-1999, 07:37 AM
ChrisW

Default hehe...your post reminds me of those little trucks people lower

and then can't drive over speed bumps etc. They seem like they're just a board on wheels and you can see every imperfection in the road if they drive in front of you. I don't know how they could play cd's either, unless they've those cd players that keeps in memory a few secs ahead of the song. I liked the idea of shocks and springs for my car, but was concerned (like your post) on how practical that would be for everyday driving, as it will be my only car (except for my bike). Thanks for your post, not only did it make me laugh (cuz I envisioned you bouncing like if you had hydraulics), but it provided good insight. Is it in your plans to take it to a track? <br>99.5 1.8tqms Lt.silver/grey...in waiting!!!
Old 02-16-1999, 07:41 AM
G

Default Air Shocks

They the sh** man.<p>Seriously, how low are you in mm from original. What size wheels, tires and etc.
Old 02-16-1999, 07:45 AM
Jay J

Default Re: hehe...your post reminds me of those little trucks people lower

I don't bounce.... that's the thing... I wish I did bounce though.. just a little.<p>
Old 02-16-1999, 07:49 AM
JayJ

Default Re: Air Shocks

I'm around 40mm lower now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Suspension Mods