A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 Foot Well Lights Not Working - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Foot Well Lights Not Working - HELP!

Hi, the car is actually an S4, but this is not an S4 specific issue so posting here. Also being a UK S4, this is a 1998 model long before the US got the S4. So if it helps, this is a PRE-FACELIFT A4.

Basically neither foot well lights work. The rest of the interior lights work when a door is opended.

None of the fuses in the dash are blown, nor are either of the bulbs.

I have tested the +ve (Grey/Red cable) side of the connection (with the door open and other interior lights on as expected) with a meter grounded to the car (eliminating the door switches etc) and there is no voltage. There is continuity on the cables between both lamps where I would expect it, so I don't think any cables are broken.

I replaced relay 382 that my dealer told me was the "Door Entry Lights Control" but this has not changed anything.

I am pretty stuck now. For some reason there is no voltage being supplied to either lamp (my drivers side - RHD) is the master supply with a dual Grey/Red cable that feeds the passenger side.

I just don't like the lights not working when they should.

Can anyone help?

Help/diagrams etc all appreciated.

Regards
Graham
Old 07-14-2006, 02:34 AM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My '97 doesn't have footwell lights. Don't really know why you need them either

I mean, if you can't keep track of where your feet are at, that's your problem.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: My '97 doesn't have footwell lights. Don't really know why you need them either

Thanks for your amazingingly usefull reply. I think guys like you are just great.

If the lamps were not there, I would not feel a need for any. Quite frankly, I can get in and out of a car without seeing my feet. However I like to keep my cars in a condition such that everything works and therefore would like to fix the problem.

All useful reponses greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 07-14-2006, 04:08 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you did everything except replace the bulbs...and checked the earth/ground wires
Old 07-14-2006, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default bulbs are fine and ground has been eliminated

The bulbs not only look ok the have continuity from end to end so the filament is fine.

I measured the voltage (or lack off) accross the +ve connection of the lamp and a different ground point not relying on the lamps ground cable or the door switches. There is still no voltage - so the lamp ground cabling is not causing the fault.

It has to be a relay or whatever supplies the power to the lamp circuit - anyone know?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:03 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

I dont have bentley handy... but others might. You can't trace the wires under the knee bolster?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:04 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Is there maybe a seperate fuse?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Could be.....but where?! I can't see one.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I have tried tracing....

The cable goes up tightly behind the relay box - it gets muddled with other looms so I can't really see.

If anyone has a manula I'd really appreciate you taking a look at the diags for me.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:03 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Default looking at this thread...

does the light come on when you open the trunk?

If not maybe it is fuse 38?<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1903309.phtml">link to fuse panel layout</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: A4 Foot Well Lights Not Working - HELP!