Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Account #: 60211

Default AAA gold warranty plan. Is it worth the cost?

I've been thinking about going for an extended warranty for my 99 A4 2.8Q w/ 49,500 miles now. I've read through a lot of posts here regarding extended warranties (all of which have been very informative). I decided that I need the peace of mind of having an extended warranty as the vehicle ages although I haven't had any major problems with the vehicle thus far (except for instrument cluster).

I just got a quote for this plan for $0 deductible:
24month/24,000 miles for $2300
36month/36,000 miles for $3000
48month/48,000 miles for $3700

I find this expensive for a plan that is not bumper to bumper and covers the inclusions shown below. What do you think?

Btw, I also got a quote from Warranty Direct:
XtraCare Plus - Protects all 16 major components of your vehicle
Terms/Miles* $0 Deductible $100 Deductible
13 Months / 13,000 $ 1,999 $ 1,824
25 Months / 25,000 $ 2,394 $ 2,194
37 Months / 37,000 $ 2,959 $ 2,759

Warranty direct's xtracare seems similar to AAA's gold plan. Due to the model year of my A4, it seems that I don't qualify for the highest coverage these 2 companies provide.

For those with pre 00 A4's with extended warranties, which reputable provider did you go with? and are those plans bumper-to-bumper/wear & tear coverages?

AAA's Gold Plan description:

The Gold Protection plan has a 30 day/1,000 mile waiting period before the protection starts. Below is a list of the covered components/parts:

1. Engine:

Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head(s), Rotary Housing and all internal lubricated parts contained within the engine including: Pistons; Piston Rings; Connecting Rod Bearings; Crankshaft; Crankshaft Main Bearings; Camshaft; Camshaft Bearings; Cam Followers; Timing Chain or Belt; Timing Gears, Guides, Tensioners; Rocker Arms; Rocker Shafts; Rocker Bushings; Cylinder Head Valves; Valve Guides; Valve Lifters; Valve Springs; Valve Seals; Valve Retainers; Valve Seats; Push Rods; Water Pump; Fuel Pump; Oil Pump and Oil Pump Housing; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pan; Timing Chain Cover; Intake and Exhaust Manifolds; Valve Covers; Engine Mounts; Cam Gear Bolt; Harmonic Balancer Bolt; Head Bolts; and Seals and Gaskets.

2. Turbocharger/Supercharger: (factory installed only)

Turbocharger/Supercharger Housing and All Internal Parts; and Seals and Gaskets.

3. Transmission: (Automatic or Standard)

Transmission Case and all Internal Parts plus: Torque Converter, Flywheel/Flex Plate, Vacuum Modulator; Electronic Shift Control Unit; Transmission Cooler; Transmission Mounts; Oil SC Pan; Slave/Clutch Master Cylinder; Pilot Bearing; Throw-Out Bearing; and Seals and Gaskets.

4. Transfer Case:

Transfer Case and All Internal Parts; and Seals and Gaskets.

5. Drive Axle: (Front and Rear)

Drive Axle Case; All Internal Parts contained within the Drive Axle; Locking Hubs; Drive Shafts; Center Support Bearings; Universal Joints; Constant Velocity Joints; Axle Bearings; Four-Wheel Drive Actuator; Deferential Cover; and Seals and Gaskets.

6. Air Conditioner:

Condenser; Compressor, Compressor Clutch and Pulley; Air Conditioning Lines and Hoses; Evaporator; Idler Pulley and Idler Pulley Bearing; High/Low Compressor Cutoff Switch; Expansion Valve; Pressure Cycling Switch; and Seals and Gaskets. The following parts are also covered if they are required in connection with the repair of a covered part listed above: Accumulator/Receiver Dryer; Orifice Tube; Oil and Refrigerant.

7. Steering:

All Internal Parts contained within the Steering Box; Rack and Pinion Gear; Power Steering Pump; Power Steering Hoses; Steering Knuckles; Pitman Arm; Idler Arm; Tie Rod Ends and Drag Link; Steering Dampner; Upper and Lower Steering Column Shafts and Couplings, including Internal Tilt-Wheel Mechanism; Steering Box and Rack and Pinion Gear Housings; Power Steering Assist Cylinder; Power Steering Pump Cooler; Twin "I" Beam & Bushings; Steering Travel Stop; and Seals and Gaskets.

8. Brakes:

Master Cylinder; Power Brake Cylinder; Vacuum/Hydro Assist Booster; Disc Brake Caliper; Wheel Cylinders; Compensating Valve; Brake Hydraulic Lines and Fittings; Hydraulic Control Unit; Hydraulic Trailer Brake Assembly and it's Components. The following ABS Parts are also covered: Electronic Control Processor; Wheel Speed Sensors; Hydraulic Pump/Motor Assembly; Pressure Modulator Valve/Isolation Dump Valve; Accumulator; and Seals and Gaskets.

9. Electrical:

Alternator; Voltage Regulator; Starter Motor; Starter Solenoid and Starter Drive; Engine Compartment Wiring Harness; Computerized Timing Control Unit; Electronic Ignition Module; Crank Angle Sensor; Knock Sensor; Ignition Switch; Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder; Front and Rear Window Wiper Motor, Washer Pump and Switch; Stop Lamp Switch; Headlamp Switch; Turn Signal Switch; Heater/A.C. Blower Speed Switch; Manual Heater/A.C. Control Head; Horns; Trailer Brake Wiring Harness; Auxiliary Power Supply Wiring; Exterior Cab Lighting; Auxiliary Fuel Tank Switching Unit and Switch; and O-2 Sensors.

10. Front and Rear Suspension:

Upper and Lower Control Arms; Control Arm Shafts and Bearings or Bushings; Upper and Lower Ball Joints; Radius Arm and Bushings; Torsion Bars, Mounts and Bushings; Stabilizer Bar, Links and Bushings; Struts; Strut Bearing Plates; Spindle and Spindle Support; Wheel Bearings; Pannard Bar; Track Bar; Suspension Bumpers; Leaf Springs; Leaf Spring Shackels and Hardware; Load Assist Shocks; Shocks; Load Assist Springs; Coil Springs; and Seals and Gaskets.

11. Fuel Delivery:

Fuel Injection Pump and Injectors; Vacuum Pump; Fuel Tank; Fuel Tank Sending Unit; Metal Fuel Delivery Lines; Fuel Pressure Regulator; and Fuel Tank Switching Unit/Switch.

12. Cooling:

Engine Cooling Fan and Motor; Fan Clutch; Belt Tensioner; Radiator; Heater Core; Thermostat; Blower Motor; Hot Water Valve; Engine Oil Cooler; Cooler Lines and Fittings.

13. Enhanced Electrical:

Automatic Climate Control Programmer; Electronic Instrument Cluster; Mileage Computer; Distributor; Ignition Coil; Electronic Combination Entry System (Does Not Include Transmitters and Receivers for Remote Locks); Cruise Control Module, Transducer, Servo and Amplifier; Powertrain Control Module; Headlamp Motors; Power Window Motor; Power Seat Motor; Power Mirror Motor; Power Antenna Motor/Mast Assembly; Convertible Top Motor; Power Sunroof Motor; Power Window Switch; Cruise Control Engagement Switch; Power Seat Switch; Power Mirror Motor Switch; Rear Defogger Switch; Power Door Lock Actuator and Switch.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 70245

Default Re: AAA gold warranty plan. Is it worth the cost?

check out www.mbadirect.com. (reputable co- recommended by consumerguide.com)

i got the deluxe plan- one step below bumper to bumper for my 97 a4 1.8tqa for $1800 for 4 year/48k. very extensive coverage. i debated over this for a couple of wks, but figured it's better to spend the $ for sake of mind now then later when it's unexpected and you have to dish out the $$$ for repairs that will inevitably happen on the a4.
calbear92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 3484

Default If you have mods, check the verbage in the contract.

pointby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:51 AM   #4

Default Re: AAA gold warranty plan. Is it worth the cost?

Thanks calbear92. I'll checked out mbadirect.com and was quoted much better rates. I think I'll call them to get further information.
Thanks again for the tip
Old 03-22-2004, 12:53 AM   #5

Default Re: If you have mods, check the verbage in the contract.

Thanks PointMeBy.
btw no mods... just stock for now
Old 03-22-2004, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
aaa, benefits, bumper, cost, coverage, direct, extended, forum, gold, mileage, package, plan, warranty, warrantydirect, xtracare