A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

another transmission main seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another transmission main seal leaking

Hi Everyone I'm new to the Audi world but not performance cars as I get older I'm finding that comfort is equally important so I picked up a 2001 A4 with known problems a leaking main transmission seal which from what I'm reading is common at a certain mileage , now I have a few questions
1- rebuild or swap the current transmission has 180xxx kms on her I tested her out and it ran great but then all the fluid puked everywhere and I had to limp her home so now I'm sure the clutch packs are shot since it ran out of fluid who's the best vendor to get parts from I'm fine with rebuilding it myself the main purpose of the car is a daily driver with bolt ons nothing crazy. I'm already leaning towards a rebuild since I plan on keeping her for awhile
2- manuals can I find them online for free ? I've looked but found none having a manual is crucial if I'm digging into the trans
3- what other areas should I look at the car has 180xxx kms on it timing belt is on my list
4-Is there info on the web that I over looked in regards to transmission rebuilding on the A4 ?
Thanks looking forward to learning from the board and joining the audi world!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea dont bother doing the seal, it will just leak again. The pumps wear out, and in my opinion its from the fluid never being changed and the fluid looses its lubricity and the pump ends up wearing out. But this issue is far from common, It happens on 1 out of every 100+ cars so its not like every other A4 and A6 is rolling in needing a new transmission or leaking. It just sounds common because its on a forum, the people who go to forums are the ones with problems not perfect cars.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market get a low mile used transmission, thats going to be your cheapest easiest solution. These transmissions can be had for 500-600$ on ebay. I got a 500$ one with 130k on it for my A6 off Ebay and I have put 40k miles on the replacement transmission and it works great, just did a fluid change on it. These really are strong units, they just need service!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok great to know Ill start my hunt my problem is parts availability Im in northern BC Canada from what I read I should replace the torque convertor since it may be scarred just want all my parts lined up so I can get it going and not take up shop space Im also getting an airbag light may be the module but Ill get this issue out of the way first