A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi 1.8 -97 whining noise, driving me nuts..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 1.8 -97 whining noise, driving me nuts..

So, I believe this should be my first or second post on this forum and hope to get better response than I have on other forums.

This is my 7th B5 and never have I encountered this problem before, but as I scrolled through other threads whining noises seem to be a normal issue, wether it is comming from gearbox, wheelbearing, stuff grinding against eachother or whatever.

This problem that I am having is as I drive along, with a big smirk on my face (driving an audi) I quickly frown because after driving for about 15-20 mins, does not matter if it's high or lowspeed the damn car starts whining, bitching about something. Note this is a very low whine but it is there, have done some tests and can rule out gearbox, neither is it tensioners, or such.

After driving one day i noticed one wheel hotter than the other, the entire wheel not just rotors, but wheel, rotor and bolts and everything. Car had been sitting for about two weeks before I took it out for this ride so I just suspected it being glider pins on caliper was a bit stuck and that pads where sliding against the rotor even after letting go of the brake and that was it.

As this sound kept comming back after driving for a while I unbolted both front wheels and had a look. Noticed a thin layer of grease on right side, around the bolt holding the CV joint in place. I then suspected this wheel was getting very hot when driving, maybe brakes were causing this? got very hot and started heating the grease inside of the bearing that then started pouring out and thus causing this whining noise? Bearing noise?

But what confuses me is that if (when noise appears) I emmidiately get out of the car and touch the wheel it's luke warm not at all hot. Not hot enough to cause this problem. And lets say if the bearing is shot, why doesn't it start whining right away when I start driving, and instead starts making a sound after 15-20 minutes of driving?

Can anybody please give me some input on this issue, if it is a bearing I would not want to drive around like this, as I fear it can sieze and lock the wheel up.

And I apologize if Im difficult to understand, english is not my native language :P
Old 01-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Have you tried to tighten the bolt with the grease? If the bolt is loose, the grease from the CV will ooze out... And I would imagine that maybe it's just a little loose, and perhaps as it warms up, it loosens a little? Is there any play in the wheel bearing on that side?
Old 02-01-2015, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Have you tried to tighten the bolt with the grease? If the bolt is loose, the grease from the CV will ooze out... And I would imagine that maybe it's just a little loose, and perhaps as it warms up, it loosens a little? Is there any play in the wheel bearing on that side?
Yes I did, as when down there I saw that the previous owner had replaced dust cover to cv joint (closest to wheel) and maybe had not tensioned the bolt properly. Took a meter long extensioner and thightened so it should be seated now.No play in bearing whatsoever, was the first thing I looked at.

And as a side note the grease that I found around that bolt reminded more of a thin almost clear grease when on the contrary the grease in the cv joint is more of a gray sticky substance.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, cleaning and greasing the caliper slide pins should be part of regular maintenance anyway, so I would start off there. I would also push the piston back in a bit to ensure its moving freely, maybe even crack the bleeder to get some fresh fluid in the caliper.
However, a sticky caliper will tend to wear unevenly over both pads, more than be constantly in contact with the disk, and you would have a hot brake smell - still worth a look

A bad bearing would tend to be noisy from the start, but the grease will be thicker when cold, and thin up as it gets warmer, so if its only just started to wear out it may behave like that. If in doubt, replace it.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Well, cleaning and greasing the caliper slide pins should be part of regular maintenance anyway, so I would start off there. I would also push the piston back in a bit to ensure its moving freely, maybe even crack the bleeder to get some fresh fluid in the caliper.
However, a sticky caliper will tend to wear unevenly over both pads, more than be constantly in contact with the disk, and you would have a hot brake smell - still worth a look

A bad bearing would tend to be noisy from the start, but the grease will be thicker when cold, and thin up as it gets warmer, so if its only just started to wear out it may behave like that. If in doubt, replace it.
Very useful input! As you mentioned I had a "hot brake smell" for two days nothing I paid attention to at the moment, but now that you mention it got me thinking. About the same time the wheel got very hot, new pads on the front to. And wheelbearing grease being cold gradually building up heat could be true to as it is about 5 degrees fahrenheit over here every day. No longer in doubt the car is visiting the shop to get the wheelbearing replaced ASAP!

Ty!