The following is the procedure to re-activate the radio if the display shows "SAFE". It is important that the procedure be followed in the correct order.
1. Turn on radio. The radio display shows "SAFE".
2. Press the FM2 and RDS buttons simultaneously and hold until "1000" shows on the display. Release the buttons. Do NOT press these buttons again, otherwise the radio will consider "1000" to be the code.
3. Use Preset buttons 1 ... 4 to enter the four-digit code number from your radio card. Preset button 1 corresponds to the first digit, Preset button 2 corresponds to the second digit, etc. Each press of the button increments the number by 1.
4. Once the code shown on the display is correct, press the FM2 and RDS buttons simultaneously and hold until the word "SAFE" appears in the display, then release the buttons.
5. The radio should unlock and be usable shortly afterwards.
6. If an incorrect code is entered, the word "SAFE" appears, first flashing and then continuously. You can repeat the above steps to unlock the radio once more, the number of attempts will be shown in the display. If an incorrect code is entered again, you radio will be locked for about one hour. After one hour - the radio must stay on and the key must remain in the ignition lock - if the display goes out, the you can repeat the above procedure to unlock again. The cycle - two attempts, one hour lock-up - still applies.
7. If you lose your radio code, contact your Audi dealer.
2001 180 TTQ coupe (sold)
1976 Triumph Spitfire
2008 A4Q 2.0T (sold)
2003 A4Q 1.8T (sold)
1996 A4Q (sold)