A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Battery died, Engine won't start

Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery died, Engine won't start

1999 A4 1.8T - battery died a couple of nights ago (girlfriend left dome light on), her brother came over while i was at work and tried to jump it . now she won't start. All fuses are good, fuel pump works, checking coil packs now. could jumping the car fry the coil packs or ICM? is there any way to check ICM without taking it to a mechanic? ordered VAG to USB but will not be here for a week. any help would be GREATLY appreciated as this is our only vehicle. i'm an NA guy so this EFI is new ground for me.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i would check on Generator/ Alternator. That happened to someone else and i came and tried helping and it wasnt the battery. If the battery isnt old it just died because the Alternator broke and it took all the power from battery instead.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default update:

i unplugged the coil pack connections and tested... icm is good, i tested all of the coil packs... coil packs good, did compression check... compression seems ok on 3 cylinders, #2 however seems to take a while to reach correct PSI. i finally got the car to run and idle, however, when revving up to around 3k and letting of accelerator fast, engine stumbles, tries to die, and burns oil for a few seconds. my guess is that i am getting blow-by into the #2 cylinder. this still doesn't really explain to me why the car wouldn't even start for 2 days and then finally start today after only testing everything. any ideas???
Old 01-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

have you checked on gas pump and filter and eletricals. seems to me you got a cylinder issue. I havent had a problem like this before. But it could be something else.. what gas were you using? 1.8t requires premium
Old 01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by iloveyulya1
have you checked on gas pump and filter and eletricals. seems to me you got a cylinder issue. I havent had a problem like this before. But it could be something else.. what gas were you using? 1.8t requires premium
listen, i don't mean to be rude and do appreciate your concern with my issue and willingness to help, but it appears as though this issue is way out of your league of expertise. twice now you have given responses that show you clearly have not read or understood my posts/updates. again, i do appreciate your concern but am looking for some thoughts or ideas from a seasoned audi man/woman.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iloveyulya1
Hi iloveyulya1, is your real name Adam by any chance?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mechanical problem just because of a dead battery doesn't make any sense. The problem with cylinder #2 might have been there before, but you just found it now while looking for the no start problem.

Did you do a throttle body adaption? It won't run right unless this is done after a dead battery. Beyond that you will need to further investigate the cylinder #2 issue and VAG com it to see what is going on with electrical things that could have been messed up by the dead battery.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Mechanical problem just because of a dead battery doesn't make any sense. The problem with cylinder #2 might have been there before, but you just found it now while looking for the no start problem.

Did you do a throttle body adaption? It won't run right unless this is done after a dead battery. Beyond that you will need to further investigate the cylinder #2 issue and VAG com it to see what is going on with electrical things that could have been messed up by the dead battery.
There is also the possibility that someone jumped the car backwards initially.This will fry a lot of things.http://forums.quattroworld.com/rocky...gs/21697.phtml
Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mksu19
Hi iloveyulya1, is your real name Adam by any chance?
My name is mike