A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

blower motor/relay/switch??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a way to check the Solar Relay Switch before ordering a new one. My blower motor has stopped working properly on my 04 AL. It comes on occasionally when I drive but will go off again. I'm trying to limit it down to the Solar Relay Switch and the Blower motor. Any suggestions?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyd291
Can you send me pics of how to do that? To Heanto@aol.com
any pics and how to locate solar relay sw my 2000 A6 w/ solar sunroof. blower not working. thanks Ed
Old 05-21-2012, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I have the same problem with my Audi

Originally Posted by a6fletch
I just went through this my self and have fixed the problem. Mine at least. This was all very easy to DIY. The heat and A/C were not working at all. I could hear the A/C compressor turn on as well as see the idle RPMs adjust as it kicked on. So I knew that the compressor was not the problem. If you have the Solar power sunroof (hot weather package), I'll bet your problem is the same as mine. It was the Solar relay switch. (Called around to two Audi dealers in town and they both had it listed under different names, "Solar relay switch" and "sunroof control module". $70. Took off the under dash on the driver side. Five screws i think and had to pop off the little part above the steering wheel. Pulled out a Fuse like box that was clearly marked 385 in big white numbers. This is what you want to replace. Really easy and cheap. If you email me. i'll send photos.
Can you send me pictures too @ joelv_surgical_rn@yahoo.com. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine twice, was the brushes in the motor that go because th emotor is on all the time, bought a used one the first time then one of these.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...wer_motor.html
I paid $43 for mine, works great.

it;'s either th eblower motor or the control head , the go after a while too. the switches and display on mine are almost gone, but the car is down the road in 4 months when the last one goes to college.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A6 2006 2.4 AC blower

I just went through this my self and have fixed the problem. Mine at least. This was all very easy to DIY. The heat and A/C were not working at all. I could hear the A/C compressor turn on as well as see the idle RPMs adjust as it kicked on. So I knew that the compressor was not the problem. If you have the Solar power sunroof (hot weather package), I'll bet your problem is the same as mine. It was the Solar relay switch. (Called around to two Audi dealers in town and they both had it listed under different names, "Solar relay switch" and "sunroof control module". $70. Took off the under dash on the driver side. Five screws i think and had to pop off the little part above the steering wheel. Pulled out a Fuse like box that was clearly marked 385 in big white numbers. This is what you want to replace. Really easy and cheap. If you email me. i'll send photos.
Dear a6fletch i have same problem with my A6 2006 2.4 but some time when the car parked for 3-4 days the AC blower start blowing when i drive with roof ventilation. so is it due to the relay or the blower it self.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A6 2006 2.4 AC blower

Dear a6fletch i have same problem with my A6 2006 2.4 but some time when the car parked for 3-4 days the AC blower dosen't start blowing till i drive the car with open roof ventilation. so is it due to the relay or the blower it self.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rawad bakhsh
Dear a6fletch i have same problem with my A6 2006 2.4 but some time when the car parked for 3-4 days the AC blower dosen't start blowing till i drive the car with open roof ventilation. so is it due to the relay or the blower it self.
Hey guys anyone can provide me the pictures of that Ac Blower Relay location?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default my turn, to sweat.. =$

Originally Posted by dorsal900
Auto Climate Control (ACC) setup does not use a "switch" or a relay to control the fan; instead, it is controlled by a large transistor that is controlled by the ACC head unit.

To test the motor, put the ACC controls in a position where it should be blowing. Measure voltage between the two wires that attach to the blower motor: if there is voltage (i.e. ~5 - 12V) there and the fan isn't blowing, it's dead.
(i know this is old thread, hopefully someone reads, its 107 degrees today, uggh)

ok, My A/c has now stopped working, as well... fuses good both 30a and 10a, vdc power @ motor... pulled blower checked the power and voltage is present at motor. Checked the stator brushes, still some meat left on them. When the car is Off the blower works from the solar panel on roof, but as soon as a turn the key on, the blower stops and will not work in any function H or C... could this be that solar relay switch?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help appreciated

I own a 2003 Audi A6 4.2 and need some help. My fan for the ac/heat/defrost will not blow. I checked the fuse and it seems to be fine. Can someone please help me figure out what the problem is and how to fix it. I have been reading on here about the ACC head unit. Can someone please tell me where it is located and how to repair as well as exactly where the motor is for the blower and how to repair. It would be much appreciated.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The blower motor is located behind the glove box, 3 screws on the top and 2 on the bottom, and the whole assy drops to show the blower motor, there are 3 bolt/screws on the blower motor. As far as the other issue, the head unit cant help there, but is you have the solar panel option there is a relay numbered 385, in the top left corner of the relay block on the driver's side firewall, to access will need to drop the cover just like to access the blower motor, there are two screw under the little cover above the steering wheel, two on the bottom and there is one on the side accessed by removing the fuse panel cover. and the whole thing moves out of the way to show the firewall. Hope this helps, (didnt help me, my issue is still there and it is getting to to point of dealer intervention)

Quick Reply: blower motor/relay/switch??