Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 177685

Send a message via MSN to tylersmith737
Default brake pad sensor light stays on after new brakes.. help ?

Hey,

So when I bought my car, the mechanic that did the brake job ( rotors,calipers,pads) clearly did not know there was a sensor for brake wear. I tried to see if I could clear it with my OBD II sensor, but that decided not to pick up the code. Do I REALLY have to take it in to the Audi dealer, or is there something I can look at on the car to fix this problem. Insight anyone ?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 177685

Send a message via MSN to tylersmith737

also as an added note, this was brought to my attention when I picked up the vehicle , I had nothing to do with the brake job or the mechanic.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Audiworld Premium Sponsor
Account #: 13830

Are you certain they used pads that had proper wear sensors built into them?

www.purems.com
866-397-5487 | San Diego, CA | mike@purems.com | Specials on Twitter!
MikekiM@PureMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 164756

Send a message via Yahoo to TitusvilleAudi

hey man, i have my break light on as well!
but when i had my brakes/rotors replaced, there was no plug to even plug that wear sensor into.. i guess my model of car didnt have it or something.(i have the earlier 99 a4)..

i'll recheck and see if the light has went out(car is still in the shop, i needed new wheel bearings to pass inspection)..
that, or some wires got corroded/ripped out somehow, and that could also be the problem.. but i know they are brand new brakes and rotors, so its just another phantom light to me.. you should be able to turn it off via- vagcom.

good luck!
pioneer head-unit
TitusvilleAudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 37725

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusvilleAudi View Post
hey man, i have my break light on as well!
but when i had my brakes/rotors replaced, there was no plug to even plug that wear sensor into.. i guess my model of car didnt have it or something.(i have the earlier 99 a4)..

i'll recheck and see if the light has went out(car is still in the shop, i needed new wheel bearings to pass inspection)..
that, or some wires got corroded/ripped out somehow, and that could also be the problem.. but i know they are brand new brakes and rotors, so its just another phantom light to me.. you should be able to turn it off via- vagcom.

good luck!
I don't think you can turn off a safety warning with Vag.com. The fluid level also sets off that light.
2003 A4Q 1.8T (sold)
1996 A4Q (sold)
AudiMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 164756

Send a message via Yahoo to TitusvilleAudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiMick View Post
I don't think you can turn off a safety warning with Vag.com. The fluid level also sets off that light.
i had a full reservoir of DOT4. after i had bled my lines, replaced brakes and rotors(which were pretty bad) and pumped brake fluid into the master cylinders. i'll double check tomorrow when i start my brake break-ins. and see if it goes away.. no leaks in my lines/calipers, it could just be a phantom light.

if vag cant reset the safety warning, can it tell me what code is setting it off? and then go from there?
pioneer head-unit
TitusvilleAudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 182693

The indicators (ie. washer fluid low, Brake pad wear indicator, low fuel warning,etc.)in the instrument cluster can be activated or deactivated by changing the coding for 17-Inst cluster, with the VAG-COM. Easy enough to do, just write down your original coding before you change anything so you can always go back to it if needed. you can email me there is a website that outlines the procedure and breaks down the coding options. zymol75@gmail.com.
I wont advertise it here. it is not my site. it is actually a site based in Europe.

Your coding is a 5 or 6 digit # that each placement means a selection.
for instance 12345. 1 may mean NAR.(north american region) If you change the coding to 22345. now you may have selected "rest-of world". This can mean that the digi readouts are now metric, etc. Get the idea? Every change can have implications that affect multiple systems.

For instance the VW Phaeton Inst Cluster has 3 possible codes. 00001, 00002, 00003,(I beleve this is acurate +/- 50%, research well before taking my word, It's been awhile since I've worked a Phaeton.) Anyway. Change this code, and it will allow the DRL's to be selected off. manually. But! It changes the "trunk valet lockout" button to a fog lamp switch. And the valet option doesn't exist where the fogs are a separate function.

So hope this helps someone.
zymol75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 168274

Default I replaced all my brakes and rotors

and connected the wear sensors on the front two wheels (I believe thats all there are) and I still have a wear light. My parents dodge van has some way of pressing in the gas with the engine off like 3 times and turning something to reset it after this. Is there something special for a b5?
Foxtrot14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 168239

Hello,
You can re-code using VAG.COM/VCDS-Lite to turn OFF the brake pad worn light.
I've done it and it's perfectly safe.

Also, make sure the mecanic who replaced your pads, replaced them with Pads that have the sensor. Sometimes, they will put generic pads to save money..
If your car is later 99, then your car should definitly have this feature..

Anyways, start by taking Off your wheel and look to see if you can see if your car has this feature.
Here is a ref. in case you don't know its location; http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2218737

Afterthat, check fluid level and get it scanned and ultimately...
Turn it Off via Vag.com/VCDS-Lite.
Good luck
exequiel3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
18t, 2002, a4, a6, audi, b7, brake, electronic, light, pad, pads, passing, sensor, sensors, warning, wear