A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bulb out warning won't go away (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb out warning won't go away (searched)

Hi all,

New here but not new to Audi forums.

I have a problem with the bulb out warning error displaying on my dash. I've changed all the bulbs to factory spec number bulbs (ie 7528) and checked wiring and contacts, but still getting this warning. I have searched and searched but still unable to find a solution.

Does anyone know what else the problem could be?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm no expert, and amazingly enough have never had a burned out tail light on my car, but I know that the autocheck system looks for resistance at the bulb, so are you sure you've got the correct bulb?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar issure with my '01 1.8T and after replacing the drivers side brake light my warning light went off. The bulb however is always stuck on brake mode and will not dim even when my foot is off the brake. Indicator warning light still remains off so now im not sure what to do besides trying another bulb on it
Old 03-27-2010, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wanted to know if you ever got your brake light bulb issue fixed...i'm experiencing the same thing with my 2000 A4 ... I've replaced all bulbs and replaced the brake light switch under the steering wheel and I replaced the bulb holder....None of that has fixed it yet. Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

easy fix, on your speedo there are 2 wires from the middle Red connector. My meory says one is grey and the other... Also grey? Or red? Simply ground them. Kind of forgot which one.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thats what I've been reading ... having to reground those wires in the cluster....where do I find these wires ?? Is it under the dashboard, or hood, or the back taillight area?? Thanks again for your help
Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Never knew about the regrounding thing. I had a bunch of spare bulbs laying around and kept swapping them around until it was fine. I have no idea why but im glad i dont have to do any regrounding but will keep that in mind if the problem gets worse
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

i just said where the wires are. AT THE BACK OF THE SPEEDO. Take the speedo out and you will see them. My car is on a hoist so i can't tell you right now.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lorenalberts
Wanted to know if you ever got your brake light bulb issue fixed...i'm experiencing the same thing with my 2000 A4 ... I've replaced all bulbs and replaced the brake light switch under the steering wheel and I replaced the bulb holder....None of that has fixed it yet. Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks
For me, it was the lamp control module, or bulb out warning module, or lamp controller, whatever the proper name of that thing is. It is a large black module that looks like two relays fused together. That thing was shot so it kept giving the warning lights. After I swapped it, the problem went away. It should be numbered either 387 or 374.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh yeah it is located under the steering column where the rest of the relays are.

Quick Reply: Bulb out warning won't go away (searched)