A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bulb out warning won't go away (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks topspeed55

and thank you MTykhnenko
Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I purchased a 2001 A4 5 months ago and for those 5 months I have been fighting with the same problem. The bulb check system comes on and off randomly while stopped or driving, and with parking lights or headlights on. Its the yellow indicator, not the brake lights indicator. I have replaced every single bulb on the car twice. Once with Sylvania bulbs and the last time with dealer bulbs. I even replaced the xenon bulbs with new dealer ones. I have replaced the rear tail light bulb trays, and the 387 light control module. Nothing has solved the problem. I have gone over all the wiring dozens of times. It is driving me insane. The two wires mentioned in this post, I believe are pin 16 grey and 19 red. Do you cut them from the harness and ground the cluster or do you just tap a ground into them without cutting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audimagik
I purchased a 2001 A4 5 months ago and for those 5 months I have been fighting with the same problem. The bulb check system comes on and off randomly while stopped or driving, and with parking lights or headlights on. Its the yellow indicator, not the brake lights indicator. I have replaced every single bulb on the car twice. Once with Sylvania bulbs and the last time with dealer bulbs. I even replaced the xenon bulbs with new dealer ones. I have replaced the rear tail light bulb trays, and the 387 light control module. Nothing has solved the problem. I have gone over all the wiring dozens of times. It is driving me insane. The two wires mentioned in this post, I believe are pin 16 grey and 19 red. Do you cut them from the harness and ground the cluster or do you just tap a ground into them without cutting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have the same issue. Did you figure out how to ground the wires? Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by emtguy82
I have the same issue. Did you figure out how to ground the wires? Thanks
Snip the wires and ground the ones going to the cluster
Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Posting this for anyone that comes across this issue with no seeming cause... My issue turned out to be a cheap dual port USB plug in phone charger. The hint was I would hear my phone connect/disconnect sound and and instantly the brake light warning would come on. With two phones charging the warnings were non-stop. The charger was either generating noise or pulling too much load on that circuit. Whatever, popped in a new charger and the warnings stopped.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by topspeed55
For me, it was the lamp control module, or bulb out warning module, or lamp controller, whatever the proper name of that thing is. It is a large black module that looks like two relays fused together. That thing was shot so it kept giving the warning lights. After I swapped it, the problem went away. It should be numbered either 387 or 374.
This is so helpful. I have a 2009 Q7 which is doing the same thing. I took it to audi dealership last week and they replaced all the bulbs and the warning light went off, and they said it was malifunctioning due to battery need to be replaced. The lights came back on last night, so now I have to take it back but at least I can mention the Lamp controller module. Thanks