A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Cam chain tensioner 2.8 30v

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam chain tensioner 2.8 30v

I recently purchased a used head to replace the one on my 98 a4 2.8 30v Quattro AHA. I put the replacement back together. Getting the cams to line up was interesting because where the timing marks on the cams are line up with valves open so that was a pain. I counted 16 links between them as Bentley states. When I was turning the exhaust cam by the sprocket I noticed that the exhaust cam moves before the intake cam. The chain tensioner depresses a bit and then intake cam follows. I have looked on the interwebz for the answer to my question but no luck. Does this movement imply that I need to replace the tensioner? I can push it down by hand and it compresses a bit until the intake cam will even move. I move the exhaust cam and it seems that it would be at least 2 links off before the intake cam moves. If I line up the intake cam to the timing mark the exhaust cam is off but I can rotate the exhaust cam back to the timing mark and the tensioner expands and all the marks line up including the marks on the chain I counted out and to what Bentley says. Is this supposed to happen or is my tensioner shot? Thank you in advance. Cheers!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will try and post a video of this later today. My extra set of hands is still sleeping.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CrookedToad
I recently purchased a used head to replace the one on my 98 a4 2.8 30v Quattro AHA. I put the replacement back together. Getting the cams to line up was interesting because where the timing marks on the cams are line up with valves open so that was a pain. I counted 16 links between them as Bentley states. When I was turning the exhaust cam by the sprocket I noticed that the exhaust cam moves before the intake cam. The chain tensioner depresses a bit and then intake cam follows. I have looked on the interwebz for the answer to my question but no luck. Does this movement imply that I need to replace the tensioner? I can push it down by hand and it compresses a bit until the intake cam will even move. I move the exhaust cam and it seems that it would be at least 2 links off before the intake cam moves. If I line up the intake cam to the timing mark the exhaust cam is off but I can rotate the exhaust cam back to the timing mark and the tensioner expands and all the marks line up including the marks on the chain I counted out and to what Bentley says. Is this supposed to happen or is my tensioner shot? Thank you in advance. Cheers!
No this is totally normal movement of the tensioner. It cant be fully tight because theres no oil pressure to tension it.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok thank you very much. Now to my main issue. Are you aware that there are 2 different style heads for the 2.8 30v. one has an oil line that sits on top of the cam bearing caps and one does not. I have searched for months and can't even find a picture of the style head that has the oil line. My car happens to have this oil line and I got a head that didn't and am curious in finding if these 2 different heads are the same design and cast wise. pm me an email I can send you the manual and what page numbers.