A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

car moves sideways when I hit a bump

Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car moves sideways when I hit a bump

I apologize if this has been posted. I searched under bump and sway bar and didn't find this exact situation.

When I hit a bump the car moves from side to side. Not every bump, but certain ones. And the same ones do it (I take the same road 120 miles round trip to work every day) I believe this might be a sway bar issue, but looking for helping diagnosing/confirming.

the history....2001 A4 Quattro 1.8T 172,000 miles. I did front TREs this summer and the car has pulled to the left ever since...even after I had it aligned. 2 weeks ago I had a loud whining sound that turned out to be a right rear wheel bearing. I had that done at a tire shop (TRE experience has sworn me off suspension work)I did not notice this problem before the wheel bearing was replaced, only since then. Could the shop have done something wrong? Or just normal wear? at 172k I am amazed I have not had more problems but I no longer feel safe driving because the handling is now so poor.

TIA for the help
Old 12-14-2009, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like a broken control arm . .. .did you check it out?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no I didn't....which one would you suspect? front or rear? upper or lower? and when you say broken...I assume you mean more than just worn out bushing.....what should I be looking for?

Thanks for the reply. i can turn a wrench just fine, but I am clueless on diagnosis
Old 12-15-2009, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd say it's front left. .I had two of them. The tech article shows you what to look for and how to fix it. There was a recall on this a few years ago (Audi ended up reimbursing me on one of the control arm replacements)

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html
Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the reply. I looked at control arms, sway bars and tres on all 4 wheels, no obvuious problems....boots look good, no damage that I saw. I also did the 3 and 9 wiggle back and forth on all4 wheels. rears are rock solid. very sligh motion in both fronts, I think that might be play in rack.

Curious to what leads you to think front left. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Is it possible I am missing something.

Also...the tech article on tie rod ends says that is a 2 and timing belt a 7 or 8. Last time I did both I would rate timing belt about a 3 or 4 and tie rod end a 9 or 10.....one of the hardest jobs I have ever done personally. I am scared to do all 8 control arms, but is it easier since they all come out?

Also, at 172k should I just go ahead with all of it, or just what I need? I intend to replace the car before 200k.

thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

This was based on the info you provided. You said the car pulls left and when you hit a "car moves sideways when I hit a bump ". So I'm assuming it's left. The front control arm is based off my experience. ..

Unless you know for sure it's the control arm, ask a mechanic, I wouldn't touch it. man that article sounded like it was a b*tc* to do!

Maybe others have a different idea. ..on what's causing your issue.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

roger...I wasn't clear enough in my original post. It pulls to the left, but has been since I did tie rod ends in July....12k miles ago. The movement side to side is only in the last 2 weeks, since I had the wheel bearing done at a tire shop.

I agree it sounded like a total PITA....and they said the tre was a 2....not sure I want to tackle that one.