A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Car shuts off after starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shuts off after starting

So my car was out of alignment after replacing my control arms and I wasn't going to drive it until Monday. I had a short drive today so I figured rather than have the car sitting a week, I'd take it.

Car starts up fine (new battery). Sits at 1k rpm for half a second, then immediately dies as if I'd turned it off.

There are no codes. Could this be a fueling issue? The car was only sitting 4 days. Really at a loss here.

The only thing of perhaps some importance is sometimes if the car was sitting for a couple days, when cold started it would shudder and drop to 600-800 rpms for a few seconds, but would then go away. Could that have been foreshadowing to my problem?
Old 09-27-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi.
Sounds like the immobiliser is activating. Does the immobiliser light go out after the ignition has been on for a few seconds? If not try a spare key to start with.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried 2 different keys, same result with either. I'm told by a couple different people that B5 A4s do not have immobilizers. I am not 100% certain of this, just what I've read online.

Sometimes the car isn't even able to sputter to life, other times it does and shuts off after 1-5 seconds. I was suspecting maybe a bad fuel pump (god I hope not) or perhaps something like a crank shaft position sensor.

I bought a new fuel filter that I'm gonna try tomorrow, but I hope that's not it.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Alex-NBI
I bought a new fuel filter that I'm gonna try tomorrow, but I hope that's not it.
Woops, meant I hope that IS the source of my problem. My brains all over the place today.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Initially I was in agreement with gsjohal, as that is classic immobiliser behaviour.
However, it is my understanding that most Audi's in the US did not come with immobilisers active until around 2000 (possibly '99.5 facelift for B5).
The easiest way to tell is if a small yellow car emblem flashes within the speedo or tacho (it was tacho in my B5, but is speedo in my S8) when the car shuts down on you after starting.

Failing that, you can try cleaning the MAF, cleaning the throttlebody, doing a throttlebody adaption (sit with ignition on, but not started, for around 1 to 2 minutes and listen for whiring motor on the throttlebody, or use VCDS - obviously electronic throttle engines only).
A cam or crank position sensor problem should throw a code.

Fuel pump replacement isn't the end of the world - quite straight forward on these cars. Only issue is cost, but they're not that dear...
Old 09-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Initially I was in agreement with gsjohal, as that is classic immobiliser behaviour.
However, it is my understanding that most Audi's in the US did not come with immobilisers active until around 2000 (possibly '99.5 facelift for B5).
The easiest way to tell is if a small yellow car emblem flashes within the speedo or tacho (it was tacho in my B5, but is speedo in my S8) when the car shuts down on you after starting.

Failing that, you can try cleaning the MAF, cleaning the throttlebody, doing a throttlebody adaption (sit with ignition on, but not started, for around 1 to 2 minutes and listen for whiring motor on the throttlebody, or use VCDS - obviously electronic throttle engines only).
A cam or crank position sensor problem should throw a code.

Fuel pump replacement isn't the end of the world - quite straight forward on these cars. Only issue is cost, but they're not that dear...
Thanks for easing my pain. I was actually looking at the replacement and it doesn't look too bad. I was under the impression that you had to drop the tank.

Yeah I don't have that yellow emblem. I've seen it in youtube videos, definitely don't have it on my car.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, had my mechanic take a look today. Turns out I have low compression on 2 cylinders. Today might be the beginning of the end.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Depends on how much you like the car and the general condition of the rest of it I suppose.
Repair or replace is always a tough question.

When buying a replacement, there's the old saying "you're buying someone else's problems"...
So you need to weigh that up against repairing your car.

However, if it's time for an upgrade (to B6, or newer, or something else you've had your eye on), then go for it.

You can always just buy a second hand engine for it, which you'll pick up cheaply enough (and if you can turn your own spanners, it will probably be your cheapest option), or look for another B5 in good condition.
IMHO B5's represent excellent buying. They are a very, very good car for the money they now fetch. Find a good one and you can put any extras off your existing car (like your GIAC tune) onto it etc...

I still have pangs about having sold my B5, despite now driving around in the S8, and despite the fact it was a V6 and getting quite high km's. Great cars.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good news. Turned out to be the MAF sensor.

Still have no idea in hell why that didn't come up with an OBD scan or when my mechanic looked at it with VAG-COM. But I'm not going to complain about cheap fixes.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So how does low compression on 2 cylinders turn into a faulty MAF?

Quick Reply: Car shuts off after starting