A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

car sputters randomly, need help asap!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car sputters randomly, need help asap!!

i just bought a 1999(b5) audi a4 1.8t quattro sedan automatic, i needed a vehicle in the cold canadian winter to get into the base for work since i cant take the bus anymore, the audi seemed like the ideal car. when i went to check the audi out the only problem seemed to be an exhaust leak, but it rand fine when i test drove it, it has 220,000km and i got it for $2,200. ive had it for about a week, and somedays it drives fairly decent with only minor issues sometimes, but randomly when i go to stop it almost wants to turn off, and it will sputter then go back to sitting around 800rpm while im sitting there, it will than accelerate fine after stopping most of the time, but theres been incidents where it will barely move and just sputter while trying to get going and the rpms will bounce between 500rpm and 1200 or so and i can barely get any power and only hit about 10km an hour and at some point it will just get power again and drive normal, this problem also happens once in awhile if i punch it around 4500rpm, it will lose power for a bit and than go, its not turbo lag, its just not getting any power at ll and bogs out, i was running 87 octane and will be switching to 91, i was thinking possibly it can be a boost or vacuum leak, or possibly the air intake is filthy and not breathing and getting enough air, or with the exhaust leak its not getting enough back pressure sometimes, im far from a mechanic but these were just thoughts about the issue, if someone could help me out on what it probably is and where the issue is and how to fix it and the price and if its easy enough to do by myself that would be great. i also hear humming from the rear once i hit about 60, i assume that its a wheel bearing and how much that would be. i also need a new control arm, but its not bad at all, and when my car shifts sometimes it will randomly jump up from 2400rpm to 2800 than shift, also my triptronic wont work, so that would be the transmisson issue but i have no clue how to fix or what exactly is causing it. sorry for the long thread, would just like to get this car running decent, as i moved out of my parents and cant take a bus to work since my house is in the country and the military base is in the city
Old 11-30-2014, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this point the best advice I can give you is that get the car on a diagnosis system like VCDS so that you can see what errors it is throwing, that will help to narrow down all the possibilities that might be causing your issues.