A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Car won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't shut off

I've replaced the ignition switch, but the car still will not shut off with the key. When I turn it off, all the accessories shut off, but the motor continues to run. Luckily I have a 5 speed so I can stall it. Any ideas on where the problem could be?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey there...did you manage to sort out your ride issue...
Old 04-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nope
Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow thats a strange one. I would suspect the ecu power supply relay has stuck on, or the terminal 15 (ignition) power has been compromised and is being held to 30 power (constant), like a always hot wire got shorted or too much load and got warm, and melted into the surrounding wiring touching the 15 and 30 together. This would hold 30 power in the circuit and never shut the engine computer off. Just some thoughts on it.

Something to try would be to turn the key off and see if you can still communicate with the engine computer. That there would tell you the switched ignition source on the ECU or its power supply relay are being held on.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 04-14-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting. But wouldn't that kill the battery? When the key turns off, it kills the lights and accessories (wipers, windows, etc). The gauges still work and the odo stays on. The car can even be driven with the key out. Once I stall the car, everything else shuts off. It's so weird
Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lumpydo
Interesting. But wouldn't that kill the battery? When the key turns off, it kills the lights and accessories (wipers, windows, etc). The gauges still work and the odo stays on. The car can even be driven with the key out. Once I stall the car, everything else shuts off. It's so weird
Hmmm let me look into some diagrams, There must be a shared power source between the things still running. What year, engine is it? As far as the battery going dead, they have quite a capacity and if your driving the car on a daily basis it probably wont go dead.

And you say the gauges still work. Every bit works still like warning lights, the screen in the center. Just wanting a clear picture of what to look for. The headlights still work too? or just go to parking lights?

Last edited by Prospeeder; 04-15-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Lumpydo, all will be well. "My car wount go off" sounds like something from a movie..
Anyway to serious stuff, its either of two things;

1> If it started on its own, you are looking at faulty or melted wiring around your relay block situated it the driverside foot well. To be prescise, your Ignition relay is closing contact to Terminal 30.
Solution; Find the damaged/melted wiring, insulate and check around for the cause of heat - could be a loose relay/connection to the terminal.

2> If it begun after some maintenance on your vehicles electrical system. Get back to the area you last worked and inspect.
Solution;
-Ensure your your Ignition relay is closing contact to Terminal 15.
-Inspect your wiring to the Ignition switch for correct wire positions.

Last edited by Prince Gitau; 04-15-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 04-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Hmmm let me look into some diagrams, There must be a shared power source between the things still running. What year, engine is it? As far as the battery going dead, they have quite a capacity and if your driving the car on a daily basis it probably wont go dead.

And you say the gauges still work. Every bit works still like warning lights, the screen in the center. Just wanting a clear picture of what to look for. The headlights still work too? or just go to parking lights?
The car is a 98 with the 2.8 30v. When the key is off, the parking lights work but not the headlights. The odo works, but not the temp gauge in the cluster. The climate control doesn't stay on, the wipers don't work and the turn signals don't work. The speedo and tach still work as do the warning lights.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prince Gitau
Hey Lumpydo, all will be well. "My car wount go off" sounds like something from a movie..
Anyway to serious stuff, its either of two things;

1> If it started on its own, you are looking at faulty or melted wiring around your relay block situated it the driverside foot well. To be prescise, your Ignition relay is closing contact to Terminal 30.
Solution; Find the damaged/melted wiring, insulate and check around for the cause of heat - could be a loose relay/connection to the terminal.

2> If it begun after some maintenance on your vehicles electrical system. Get back to the area you last worked and inspect.
Solution;
-Ensure your your Ignition relay is closing contact to Terminal 15.
-Inspect your wiring to the Ignition switch for correct wire positions.
Well, I had someone do a heater core last year, so the dash was out. But this just started a month or so ago. How do I know which relay is which? (Term 15 or 30)
Old 04-17-2015, 01:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What is your engine code

Quick Reply: Car won't shut off