A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wierd Problem with Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Problem with Tranny

Hey everyone, I'm New here , I Started with the wrong foot this new year!! this is my problem:
I have a 2001 1.8t audi a4 quattro, the transmission was acting wrong and was leaking and slipping. so I decided to replace it with another one, I had no time to rebuild the old tranny, due to that I went to the Bronx I got another one, same, in better condition. the guy told me that they drove the car to the junk yard it was a 2003 passat or jetta, I don't remember. Anyways I put the new used tranny to mine car and before to tied the wheels and the framing I started the car to test it. the car runs , in every gear, reverse, smooth, perfect. then by mistake while the wheels were spining I shift into Parking before the wheels stop completely. I did that before that's why I didn't worry about it.
then put everything back together, wheels, framing, shield. and the car didn't move at all. I can't even feel anything trying to engage any gear.
So I checked the pressure line, I took them out from the tranny to see the fluid pumping and I can't see nothing coming out from the line hole.
then I code cames up "incorrect gear ratio" that's due to low fluid, I checked the fluid, all good. check the filter, all good. check the sensor connectors, all good. the torque converter it's hook up, I can see spinning it from the bottom.
any Ideas? I thought about the pump, maybe is that. but I don't want to take everything down again, go and get another one and put it back again. to much effort for 1 person.

thanks in advance!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Transmissions are not an area I know much about. But I remember reading the following: D-Drum: (Reverse Failure)
A cracked or damaged reverse drum is quite common for this line of transmissions. There is a number of reasons for this failure. First you must consider that each drum within the transmission is aluminum, they aren’t inherently that strong. When the pressure regulator valve behinds failing it can cause low or high pressure situations. Enough high pressure situations on a small clutch module/drum such as the D-Drum can cause eventual fatigue of the drum. This fatigue can cause cracking/splitting of the drum and cause failure of your reverse gear.
Also, understand that when the engine and transmission of your vehicle is cold both oil and transmission fluid operate at a higher line pressure to prevent unnecessary wear on components. Cold aluminum and high line pressure in the transmission can result in high stress on the reverse D-Drum. Drivers should also be aware that prior to forward gears being selected the reverse drum must stop spinning. In a scenario in which you are reversing and coming to a stop, you should ALWAYS come to a complete stop prior to shifting from reverse to drive/Tiptronic. Failure to do so will result in a high line pressure situation on the D-Drum and the TCU is going to try to get that Drum to stop moving as quickly as possible.

*Opinion/Suggestion*
The worst thing you can possible do to your reverse drum is to start the car cold, on a winters morning, throw the car in reverse, aggressively reverse and throw the car in drive which continuing to roll backwards. Do this enough times and you will break the reverse drum and you will lose reverse. Recommendation: Let your car warm up a little before driving (since you are a b5 s4 owner and you’re neurotic about oil temps.. be the same in regards to your automatic transmission. As the transmission temp rises, line pressures decrease, same as engine oil/pressure. When reversing be easy on that little clutch! And ALWAYS, come to a complete stop in reverse before selecting Drive/Tiptronic.

Here is the original source for the quote: Tiptronic Information Thread *Updated & Revised* 2016