A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Debadged yesterday--piece of cake!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-1999, 08:23 AM
JT

Default Debadged yesterday--piece of cake!

Took heed to all others advice and instructions on how to go about this and had NO problems at all! No scratches! Looks slick!<p>Needed materials:<br>1.) hairdryer(might need an extension cord)<br>2.) 4lbs. test fishing line(to the fishermen out there, I used 4lbs. test b/c it is thinner and I knew it would be easier to "get under" the emblems with).<br>3.) Goo Gone citrus based glue remover/cleaner<br>4.) terry cloth towels(I used 3)<br>5.) wax(I used Mothers Pure Carnuba)<p>Directions:<p>Heat up desired emblem by putting the hairdryer on max power and holding it very close(1/2") from the emblem. Continue, slowly moving the hairdryer over desired emblem for at least a minute or two(the softer the glue, the easier removal). Next, take the fishing line, wrapping a finger from each hand around it, and push it under the emblem(I usually started from the bottom of the emblem and worked upwards-in some cases, I wrapped the entire emblem w/the fishing line, and then slowly squeezed the line together.) Next, slowly slide the fishing line upwards, and, if necessary, "saw" through the glue. You should be able to feel the line "cutting through" the glue. In my experience, it is was also advantageous to start lightly pulling toward you, as you slide upwards. By now, you should definitely see the emblem starting to come off! I had very little glue left behind on the car and the little that was left I removed w/my fingers! It helps to actually heat up the remaining glue w/the hairdryer before trying to pull it off the car. It is also helpful to take some glue and use it to pick up the other glue that is still on the car. After I had removed all emblems(except da' RINGS-can't remove them!) I put some Goo Gone on a terry cloth towel and rubbed over the areas to remove any minute particles of glue, dirt, etc. Last, I went over the areas w/Mothers Carnuba wax on a second terry cloth towel and then removed it w/the third terry cloth towel.<p>Sounds like a long process, but it probably only took 15 minutes, tops! For those of you who haven't debadged yet, but are considering/planning on it, I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.<p>JT '99 1.8Tqms A!, debadged<p>
Old 05-09-1999, 11:51 AM
Paul

Default Stupid question

I have read on the board about debadging - stupid question - exactly which badges did you take off? The A4 and Quattro badges? <p>Have you tried your approach on removing "dealer" label/identifiers that they slap on the back of the car. Thanks!
Old 05-09-1999, 11:51 AM
Paul

Default Stupid question

I have read on the board about debadging - stupid question - exactly which badges did you take off? The A4 and Quattro badges? <p>Have you tried your approach on removing "dealer" label/identifiers that they slap on the back of the car. Thanks!
Old 05-09-1999, 05:51 PM
CraigB

Default Re: De-badging...

I removed everything but the rings. I didn't have a dealer badge on my A4, but have successfully removed the free advertising from other vehicles that I've owned. Some dealers put on stickers, so I would imagine that those would be a little more difficult to remove.<p>CraigB
Old 05-09-1999, 06:21 PM
Arie

I have refused delivery of a car with a dealer's badge.. I told them they can leave it one if they'll pay me $25 a months ad fees..
Old 05-09-1999, 06:42 PM
JT

Removed A4 and 1.8Tq. Dealer never put on any badges/stickers - just a license plate frame that I removed.
Old 05-09-1999, 07:44 PM
Paul

Default I agree

It's funny - if I were ordering a car, your statement is exactly what I would say to a dealer. Though, given I am need of a car very soon, I am going to have to buy off the lot. hence, 50/50 chance they will have put something on it. Grrrrrrrr!!!!! Though I am planning on using some of the internet services to find something - having no bage will be part of the search criteria. My fear is that I will find a car, drive 6 hours to pick it up, and then find that there is a dealer lable/badge on it regardless. <p>Thanks!
Old 05-10-1999, 05:34 AM
cj

Default Dealer badges

It's been my experience that dealers don't put badges on their cars until just prior to pickup. Cars on their lots always have the opportunity to be traded so they useually are not badged as they come off the truck. I had a Nissan once where i specifically asked that they not put one of their stickers on. Since they prepped the car the morning I was picking it up, and disregarded my instructions, I was able to easily peel the fresh sticker off the trunk while chatting with the salesperson and then gave it to him to dispose off.