A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

DIY: 1.8t Coolant Flange Removal and re-installation instructions on AEB others should be the same

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's what we had discussed after taking off the flange.

I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe the whole flange needs to be replaced but the seals (as pointed out to me by Kevin) are probably the only things that need to be replaced.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:59 AM
BSK
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was searching for some other pics because we didnt take many and you had some good ones
Old 07-23-2006, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Addendum for AWM engines inside

Unplug Coolant Temp Sensor
Remove Coolant Expansion Tank
Disconnect all brackets securing the oil line running along the back of the head (from the oil cooler to the turbocharger) - 10mm and 13mm bolts and 8mm hex
Disconnect banjo bolt for oil line (don't lose the seals) - 8mm hex
Remove upper bolt securing Coolant Flange to cylinder head (10mm)
Remove bolts securing coolant supply line to flange (10mm)
Remove lower nut (10mm) on coolant flange securing oil line bracket
Move oil line safely out of the way
Remove combo bolt (10mm) that secures coolant flange to cylinder head
Remove coolant flange
Disconnect heat exchanger supply line by removing the metal clip with a flathead screwdriver and pulling the solid line away from you.

After this, be sure you have a new coolant flange with applicable o-rings. Install the Coolant Temperature Sensor BEFORE you put the flange back! Once you've got your O-rings squared away, the installation is the reverse of above.

On a personal note, the Bentley's instructions for this (as with most AWM nuances) completely blow. It makes no mention of needing to move the oil return line, nor the fact that the second bolt securing the flange to the head is a combo bolt. With limited visibility to the rear of the AWM engine, most of this was figured out with a pocket mirror, flashlight and combining the B5 and B6 instructions (which were on Audizine).

I wish you and your knuckles good luck with this one.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bumping an old thread. Thank you for this OP, will need this tomorrow!
Old 04-02-2011, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Seal?

Do you have any advice as to how to keep the seal between the flange and hose to stay on correctly? When I put the hose in it messes up the seal this creating a leak.....what a pita! Thanks -Mark

Originally Posted by kenny (dremel)
Unplug Coolant Temp Sensor
Remove Coolant Expansion Tank
Disconnect all brackets securing the oil line running along the back of the head (from the oil cooler to the turbocharger) - 10mm and 13mm bolts and 8mm hex
Disconnect banjo bolt for oil line (don't lose the seals) - 8mm hex
Remove upper bolt securing Coolant Flange to cylinder head (10mm)
Remove bolts securing coolant supply line to flange (10mm)
Remove lower nut (10mm) on coolant flange securing oil line bracket
Move oil line safely out of the way
Remove combo bolt (10mm) that secures coolant flange to cylinder head
Remove coolant flange
Disconnect heat exchanger supply line by removing the metal clip with a flathead screwdriver and pulling the solid line away from you.

After this, be sure you have a new coolant flange with applicable o-rings. Install the Coolant Temperature Sensor BEFORE you put the flange back! Once you've got your O-rings squared away, the installation is the reverse of above.

On a personal note, the Bentley's instructions for this (as with most AWM nuances) completely blow. It makes no mention of needing to move the oil return line, nor the fact that the second bolt securing the flange to the head is a combo bolt. With limited visibility to the rear of the AWM engine, most of this was figured out with a pocket mirror, flashlight and combining the B5 and B6 instructions (which were on Audizine).

I wish you and your knuckles good luck with this one.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice Post!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Yes, six years old and still helpful.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Getting ready to tackle this job on an AWM engine. I already knew I had a coolant leak but now that just replaced the breather hose with a new 034 motorsports kit I created an even bigger leak. I learned the hard way that the bracket that holds the breather metal tube (part of the pcv valve system) on the back of the engine is actually connected to the coolant flange thus making my coolant leak much worse.Never reinstalled it because I didnt know it was one of the bolts going in the flange and the new breather tube replaced the metal tube with a silicone one not needing to be attached. Oh well you live and learn the hard way sometimes. I just ordered a new o.e.m. flange from ECS. Hopefully will be here in a couple of days! Other than the new rubber seal that comes with the flange are there any other seals I should replace while in there? Maybe the sensor seal and if so where can I find one other than a dealership?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket3004
I know you mentioned you didn't see any physical damage, so that would lead me to beleive that just the seals are bad.

Any corrosion or anything else to suggest the replace the whole thing?

Nice writeup!

I would always replace the flange and oring together, the flange is plastic, they warp, crumble, crack, errode pinholes, ect. They are like, 15 bucks.

Also, I remove the heater hose quick connect before removing the flange from the head. I just grab them and put some weight into it and wiggle and pull and it pops right off. I always put on a new temp sensor since the rather high failure items also.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Images not displaying

Hi, the images on this post do not display. Please advise. Thank y