A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Fair price for 1998 dealer loaner Avant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-1999, 11:43 AM
Alan Cole

Default Fair price for 1998 dealer loaner Avant?

A friend is considering buying a 1998 A4 Avant dealer loaner with 2,500 miles on it. She'd appreciate any advice on what a fair price is.<p>It's a 1998 A4 Avant 2.8 Sportwagon, Tiptronic, front wheel drive, sport package, sunroof, Bose with CD changer, dealer warranty for 3 years/47,500 miles, pearlescent metallic white paint, gray leather interior, and remote locking.<p>The original invoice price (including destination charge) was $31,410. The dealer is now asking, I believe, $30,000. The friend realizes that FWD has less resale value than quattro, but doesn't intend to resell for a long time, so isn't too worried.<p>Any opinions on whether this is a fair price? Or on the advisability of getting a loaner?<p>Thanks,<br>Alan (98.5 Cactus Green A4 2.8QMS)
Old 02-10-1999, 11:49 AM
Observant Dealer Visitor

Default Look out!

I don't know about in your area, but in Chicago the dealer Avants are WORKHORSES. These cars are NEVER properly broken in, have been used for five minutes to tote a jack and a wheelset across the dealer lot and then shut off for 2500-3500 miles and abused by people you don't know when their cars came into service. What other brands does your dealer carry? Which ones does the dealer provide loaners for? The dealer should be providing a large discount for the way loaners (especially station wagons) are used at dealerships. For a one-model-year-old car of any type with 2500mi hard miles on it, you should be getting a huge discount. I'd offer $27,500 and without a counteroffer I'd walk. It is likely the car has not had a pretty life so far and your friend shouldn't be fooled by the low mileage. The car has been abused until the dealer proves otherwise.<p>Cameron<br>
Old 02-10-1999, 01:41 PM
Cameron

Default Re: Look out!

Whoa is me. I've agreed on $29,900 and I'm trying to sell the CD 6 disc changer for $300-$400 to save a little money. It's Pray Audi in Greenwich, CT - they seem<br>quite reputable and I know lots of people who go there. They only carry Audi - but they own lots of other dealership on same road.
Old 02-10-1999, 02:35 PM
Jim Murphy

Default I agree.. 30K is too high for such a car

#(o
Old 02-10-1999, 02:47 PM
Steve R.

Default I believe all Avants are quattros, even '98's

Or did they produce some early non-quattro's?
Old 02-10-1999, 02:58 PM
KurtW

FWD Avants were made all through 98 model year, but pretty quickly became obvious how popular they were somewhere else but here. All 99s are Q.
Old 02-10-1999, 02:59 PM
Matt Daniels

'98's came in FWD with Quattro as an option. &quot;99 Avants are Quattro only
Old 02-10-1999, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Fair price for 1998 dealer loaner Avant?

The deal does not sound horribly bad to me. I do not see anything wrong with purchasing a demoed car.<p>I tend to disagree with the Observant Dealer Visitor. I have been in the red since delivery date on my 2.8 30V and have had no problems.<p>Call around to different states and see whether you can find a better deal. I have heard that a good rule of thumb is $ 1.00 off for every mile on a demoed car. Her deal is invoice - approximately $ .65 for every mile.<p>If she cannot find a better deal at another dealer and she likes the current Avant, go for it.
Old 02-10-1999, 04:59 PM
Mary

Default I don't think so (MORE)!

I do not think that is a fair price.<br>First of all, Avants are not selling well in the US (IMHO from personal observations and postings here, plus the deal that was provided to me on my new Avant!)<br>My Avant is a 2.8 Quattro, Tip, Sport, Winter package, leather, Bose 98.5 purchased new for 32,175.<br>No miles and quattro. That price does not include tax and the licensing fee. So, I do not think that is a great price. Furthermore, they were offering off the lot an Avant no quattro, bose,leather no sport for 28K! So, unless you reaaaally want this car...don't do it.<p>IMHO<p>Good luck (I am assuming you are considering owning two A4s??)
Old 02-10-1999, 05:02 PM
Mary

Default Re: Look out!

For what car?

Quick Reply: Fair price for 1998 dealer loaner Avant?