A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

First Post, Bear With

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post, Bear With

Hello everyone, I'm Jordan, and I am a new to me owner of a 97 A4 Quattro, and while I don't think this is the right thread for an introductory, please don't scold, I've got a good story already. I'm 21, make good money, and everything I have I've earned myself. I grew up fairly poor in a trailer park, but the work my single mother did installing good values in me, gives me good determination.

Anyways, I purchased this car from my roommate who owned the car for about 6 months, which originally came from California. No rust, beautiful. I'm in Illinois Anyway, when my buddy owned it, he had the rear wheel bearings replaced at Merlin's, about 7 months before I bought it. So the months pass, this car isn't mine yet, haven't paid much attention to it other than I want it. Then he ends up having to make a drastic move back to California, and he needed quick money. So I acquired this car for VERY cheap. Long story short, the bearings started going bad again about a month ago. Small vibration lead to a good shake in a matter of days. I've owned this car for about two weeks now. So I called my friend out west, we'll call him Cali. He said for sure, they should be covered under some kind of warranty. So I drive a mile down the street, to my local East Peoria, Illinois Washington Street Merlin's, and enter the lobby deal. Keep in mind I have a good friend who is a mechanic here. Okay, so I told the manager (damn I wish I remember his name) what the problem is, that I have this car which had the rear bearings replaced about 7 months ago and that there should theoretically be some kind or warranty. So I gave him my roommates last name, and he pulled it up and sure enough found the record, gave me a date to come in and a labor estimate. Then he says unless it is under a new owner, then there is nothing he can do. Dreams crushed. Damn, well more like my wallet. So I leave, pissed, not thinking twice. Im sitting at home that night and I start to do some research. I go to Merlin's warranty page, and right there at the end of the first paragraph. 'And there's more - Warranties are completely transferable to new car owner'.

That set me off. It was 3 AM, but I texted my buddy with a screenshot of what I just found, and he said 'Yeah, call him out on Monday, he's ****in ya over'. So tomorrow after I get off work at four, into Merlin's I go. After a phone call to corporate on my lunch break though. Have a goodnight everybody. Had to get that off my chest.