A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Found a way to turn on the Climate Control without the compressor!! . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-1999, 01:56 AM
James

Default Found a way to turn on the Climate Control without the compressor!! . . .

Hey Everyone,<p>Since the weather was getting nicer, I decided to play around with the climate control a bit to find the "proper" summertime setting. I found more than that.<p>First I simply turned off the compressor, but the air out of the vents at 21 C without the compressor was a bit hot, so I ran the temperature down to 18 C. Not bad during the day.<p>The next time I got in the car, I was waiting for someone to come in, and decided to play around with the C/C more. Instead of turning it on the usual way, which is to simply hit the "Auto" button, What I did was hit the "+" button on the temperature side of the C/C. It turned on the C/C to the 18 C setting without the compressor on, just like it was when I turned it off. <p>I decided to test some more. I ran the temperature setting up to 21 C, and once again turned off the C/C. I then tapped the "+" on the temp side again, and not only did the C/C/ turn on, it went straight to the 21 C setting WITHOUT the compressor!<p>So there you go. There is a way to turn on your C/C without the compressor!!!<p>By the way, this is for the pre 99 C/C units without the nice "off" button.<p>Hope this helps.<br>And if someone had already posted this before, Oops. :-)<p><br>James Wu<br>A4 Club of Vancouver<br>1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa<ul><li><a href="http://vancouver.a4.org">A4 Club of Vancouver</a></li></ul>
Old 05-09-1999, 03:42 AM
G. Hale

Default Re: Found a way to turn on the Climate Control without the compressor!! . . .

James, were you turning the fan off to turn the entire system off, or just changing the temperature settings. On my '98.5 unless I turn the fan all the way off, the compressor never comes on by itself unless I hit the Auto or the Compressor button. Therefore, I can change temperatures or fan speeds without the compressor coming on. Also, when I turn the car off and back on, the system retains my settings of when I turned the car off.<p>Now, assuming that you did turn the fan all the way off, which also makes the temperature display turn off, I was not aware that you could simply hit the temperature button to turn the unit back on. I had been hitting the fan button +. When doing this, the display shows MAN until you select the same fan speed as if you were in Auto mode. The MAN light then goes out and the AUTO light comes on. Are you saying that while the unit is off, you can simply hit the temp. + button, and the unit will automatically select it's fan speed without turning on the compressor?<p>G. Hale<br>'98.5 2.8 QMS
Old 05-09-1999, 05:44 AM
T2

agreed - as long as you don't hit auto, the temp control can be used without compressor
Old 05-09-1999, 09:46 AM
James

Default Follow up . . .

Hey Gary,<p>Yes, I was turning the fan all the way off. I turn off the entire system before I shut off my ignition everytime. I never leave anything on before turning the car off. I noticed the Audi C/C unit has a slight delay on even if you start the car with it on to protect the circuits, but I guess it's just habit for me.<p>As a followup, I tried with a few more buttons. Basically, you can hit ANY of the "+" or "-" buttons to reactivate the system to the previous setting without the compressor coming back on after a full shut down. But if you hit the "Auto" button, the compressor will come on everytime.<p><br>James Wu<br>A4 Club of Vancouver<br>1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa<ul><li><a href="http://vancouver.a4.org">A4 Club of Vancouver</a></li></ul>
Old 05-09-1999, 06:50 PM
Greg S (not Slater)

Default When you can recirculate

When you can run "Recirculate" without the compressor let us know. That's what a lot of us are still trying to figure out.<p>Good Luck,<br>Greg "S"<br>
Old 05-10-1999, 06:52 AM
G. Hale

Default Fix has already been posted here.....

A few months back someone posted that you can change number 16 to a value below 35 on the Climate Control in program mode to turn on the recirc. This remains in recirc until to hit the Auto button, or turn the number up manually again. I checked the number with the compressor and recirc turned on and it was 24. With the recirc off it's somewhere around 220. So when I want recirc, I adjust the number down to 24 manually. <p>Note: The recirc light does not show when you manually adjust the number, but you can hear the air changing to recirc mode and can tell the difference if your in smoke or some other funky smell.<p>G. Hale<br>'98.5 2.8 QMS