A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Heater Core Removal Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heater Core Removal Help!

Hi guys, I'm in the middle of this, for the first time ever, and it's turning out to be harder than I anticipated. It's been a while since I've felt really over my head, but here I am.

Anyway, I have the dash out, radio, out, etc. I'm trying to remove the aluminum frame that the dash mounts to and I have it out, I think, per the tech write up here, but there is an arm that is right behind the steering column, on the top of the aluminum frame, that goes to the car's body by the windshield. It is riveted to the frame, and there is a screw going through it at the body...coming up from inside the body somehow. I believe this arm is what is keeping the frame in place, as the frame moves just a little bit if I pull, but it doesn't budge beyond that.

Any ideas how to release this arm? thanks in advance for the help...
Old 11-29-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jseklund
Hi guys, I'm in the middle of this, for the first time ever, and it's turning out to be harder than I anticipated. It's been a while since I've felt really over my head, but here I am.

Anyway, I have the dash out, radio, out, etc. I'm trying to remove the aluminum frame that the dash mounts to and I have it out, I think, per the tech write up here, but there is an arm that is right behind the steering column, on the top of the aluminum frame, that goes to the car's body by the windshield. It is riveted to the frame, and there is a screw going through it at the body...coming up from inside the body somehow. I believe this arm is what is keeping the frame in place, as the frame moves just a little bit if I pull, but it doesn't budge beyond that.

Any ideas how to release this arm? thanks in advance for the help...
Its been 12 years ago that I have done this , if you don't have a Bentley manual try to locate one.(ignore the arrow in the pic)

If you sit in the driver's seat , you have to remove everything in front of you including the steering column and airbags. I pulled the front seats to to make it easier.

Took me about 12 hours, worst job I have ever attempted on a car. In my case it was the AC core that was leaking, but its all in the same HVAC box. I was successful though .
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remove the wipers, and the plastic cowl under the windshield. There should be a bolt in there under the windshield.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys! It turns out you don't HAVE to remove the aluminum frame to get the heater box out, it would just make it a lot easier. I got it out, and have it going back together. I have the Bentley for the A6, but not for the A4.

I'm wondering if anyone had any idea of how the Air bag brackets go back together? I thought I would remember and I feel like I'm a bit stumped now...even a picture of the air bag assembled would clear it all up.

I also have one aluminum bracket that goes on the drive side that I can't remember where it came off.

I'm just hesitant putting things back together because forgetting something and then having to take it apart again to get to it would really suck....