A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help finding some parts

Old 02-01-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help finding some parts

If someone could help me out with some part numbers or anything it would be awesome! I'm looking for the bezel that attaches about the rear license plate where the license plate lamps mount. I need the bezel and the license plate lamps. if anyone could help me out it would be awesome!

Old 02-02-2016, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

The threaded screw holes the license plate lights thread into are stripped out so it won't hold the lamp anymore. This is why I'm thinking I need to replace the entire assembly and the lamps, maybe I'm better off cutting out the lamp assemblies and plastic welding some new mounting tabs for a universal license plate light in there.

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I haven't had this issue so I can't be sure if my idea would work, but I would be tempted to pull the part off the car, fill the mounting holes up with epoxy, let it cure, drill them out to an appropriate size (big enough to pass the solid part of the screw, but not the threads), and remount the lights. Of course you could also just push the screws into the epoxy while it is wet (go ahead and mount the lights is place while you do this), and let the epoxy cure with the screws in place, this would cast threads into the epoxy. Then remount the assembly. Good luck with it.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ended up removing the bezel, grinding most of the plastic out of the back side, purchasing 2 universal housings, plastic welding new housing mounts into the bezel, drilling and tapping anchor mounts for the new bezels, finishing the plastic in the bezel how I wanted it, had some extra time so I sanded and refinished the bezel in flat black to match some of my other details on the car, sinking 316 sst helix threaded inserts in the plastic instead of the tapped plastic, replaced all the screws with 316 sst and some repositionable loctite and reinstalled. it was a fun little project actually once I got over not being able to find an OEM part. I took pictures the whole way and will be putting together a writeup for this as well.

This is the light assemblies I ended up with, I suppose it isn't technically universal but it fit my needs:
Robot Check Robot Check

I tapped through the existing hole to allow me to use a fine threaded screw instead of the wood screw the assembly came with.