A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

HELP! Shaking, exhaust noise, NO POWER

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Shaking, exhaust noise, NO POWER

I've done my share of searching forums but not much luck. My car is at 125,000 miles, owned it about 8 months, chipped it with a United Motorsports stage 1, Catback, boost gauge and a bailey's DV, to give some background.

I went to drive it this afternoon, gave it a quick pull and everything seemed fine. Then a minute later I was driving and gave it a little gas to accelerate normally and felt a bit of a sputter, and immediately had a big loss of power, shaking, and an altered exhaust sound. It's running very rough. It shakes at idle and worse during ANY acceleration. Barely any power and a sputter when accelerating. A throatier or more gurgly exhaust sound (normaly I'd be cool with that).

The only time it sounds/feels fine is when I'm moving, but off the gas and decelerating. Plus it's NOT THROWING ANY CODES (yet). I couldn't find anything by looking and feeling, but vacuum leak maybe? I literally just graduated college today and really don't wanna have to spend big $$ just to have a shop try to diagnose it, so any input would be much appreciated.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it figured out for anyone who has a similar problem in the future. Just a bad coil so I was running on 3 cylinders. If your car ever has symptoms like mine just unplug the coil wires one by one, and if the car doesn't seem any different after unplugging one then you know which one is bad. You'll definitely notice the difference if you unplug one that works.

Also didn't throw any codes which I thought was weird.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by manderson724
Got it figured out for anyone who has a similar problem in the future. Just a bad coil so I was running on 3 cylinders. If your car ever has symptoms like mine just unplug the coil wires one by one, and if the car doesn't seem any different after unplugging one then you know which one is bad. You'll definitely notice the difference if you unplug one that works.

Also didn't throw any codes which I thought was weird.
First time it happens it scares the CRAP out of you.

The second time it happens, you pull over, pop the hood, grab a spare coil pack out of the glove box, spend 5 minutes removing covers and swapping coils until you're good to go.