A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help: water damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: water damage

Hi All,

This is 2000 A4 Quattro manual shift with ATQ engine. (about 90k miles on it.)

I drove my car trough big puddle of water and I suspect water got into the engine. (I know this is bad thing to do. :-( but somehow I managed to do it.)

I'd like to know if the engine can be repaired with reasonable effort.

Here is what happened:

I drove it trough 1-2 feet deep water.
The engine stopped while still in the puddle. I got help pushing it out of the water.
Tried to start the engine but doesn't start.
Waited for 20-30min than I was able to start the engine. (I guess this part is another mistake.)
While driving it to a mechanic, white smoke came out from front and the oil warning came up and the engine start to rattle pretty bad.
I pulled it over the a parking lot.
Checked the engine oil dipstick and it was dry. I saw a lot of tree leaves in front of the car including the area near the air intake. I think they were floating on the water and got stuck there.
I got it towed to a shop. They added engine oil and the engine start but rattles pretty bad.
The mechanic said the engine oil might have been leaking. They said they saw some color dye to find the leak previously. Also I think the head gasket might need to be replaced soon.

It's 4 days ago and my car is sitting at the shop.

This is what I suspect what might have happened:
Water might have got it through intake and soaked the air filter. Thus blocking air flow that prevented engine from start.
As the water drips out of the filter it got into the engine. but this allows some air flow so the engine can start again later.
Oil has been leaking before but the water vapor might have aggrevated it to worse.

I suspect the engine damage might be cause either by hydrolock or lack of engine oil (or both) Looks like water in the engine may trigger oil pressure problem also.

The mechanic pretty says the engine is toasted. But I'd like to get some idea if there is a way to repair this with reasonable cost/effort.

I can think of these might got damaged:
piston connecting rods
intake/exhaust valves

Engine swap can be one solution but it would be cost prohibitive if done at a shop and I cannot take it myself considering my experience level.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say do a complete overhaul if that is the case, it will be pricey but will be well worth the money spent on the car, I would rather do that and have complete peace of mind than to swop out the engine, you just never know how the next engine was treated . . . . . . . . don't ever drive through a water puddle again if you care about not getting hydro-lock.