A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How to tell if I snapped a cv joint on rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if I snapped a cv joint on rear axle

Yes I have an 01 audi a4 2.8 30v rwd conversation. Today I was on my way home from work and I always slide the car around this on corner. Well as I was doing things heard bad snap noise come from the rear of the car. I got the car off the road and called a buddy to pull me home. As I'm sitting there car is in gear not moving. I felt under the car and drive shaft was spinning. As my buddy arrived and started to pull me it sound like the rear passenger side axle was all over the place making noise. I know it isn't the clutch as I have to engage that to put the car into reverse. It's either I snapped a cv joint or I snapped the pinion gear in the rear carrier assembly. Can anyone point to what they think it maybe. Oh it's a open rear to.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd start by lifting the rear end off the ground so that the two rear wheels are in the air. Set the transmission in neutral and block off the front wheels to prevent the vehicle from unintentionally rolling forward.
Then start wiggling the rear wheels to get a feel of where the fracture is.
Or if you're feeling brave, you can start the vehicle while the rear end is in the air , and put it into gear. Even at idle there should be enough power sent from the engine to spin the wheels.
If the pinion gear is broken, neither wheel should spin. If one of the cv is broken , it will be that axle (not the wheel) freely spinning since it will have less resistance.
You can also pull the rear differential check plug to inspect the fluid for metal shavings or fragments - the presence of which would indicate damage within the differential.