A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Southbend Stage 2 Clutch - VERY high engagment & slipping sometimes

Old 10-23-2009, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Southbend Stage 2 Clutch - VERY high engagment & slipping sometimes

Let me first give you all the rundown. I have a 2001 A4 sport Quattro with a Southbend Stage 2 clutch and AWE lightweight flywheel. My performance mod is limited to just tuning (91 from APR) and am not running anything else special. I had this combination installed about 30k miles ago by a local Audi shop and had no problems with it for 29k of those miles. But in the past recently, the car has decided to randomly slip while in gear. If I am driving all nice and casual, I have no problems through the RPMs and such. But, if I get on the gas and spool up the turbo more (over 10psi), it will begin to slip from 3k to 5k, then catch and go. Again, this is only when I get on it, not during normal driving.

Now, my driving style is what my friends refer to as slow. I do not race the car (track or street), have dumped the clutch 3 times (last year) and generally do not go *****-to-the-wall while driving. When I do drive it, it is usually on the highway with very limited in-city driving, and usually in cruse control (I'm lazy).

Now, I have thought that maybe it is the clutch going, but after talking to AWE, they have stated that they have never heard of the problem. A call to Southbend yielded...well, nothing. They don't like phones apparently. After talking to a few shops and local gurus, I am starting to think it has something to do with the actual pressure put on the clutch, or lack there of. When I engage the clutch, it is very high. And I mean I barely have to put it in an inch to engage and shift. I can put the pedal all the way down, but nothing changes. I have to wait until the pedal is almost all the way up to engage.

YES, I know B5 1.8ts engage high with OEM setups, but I have driven enough of them to know that this is a little out of the ordinary. When talking to the shop that installed it, they continually insist it is normal for this setup, but I am a skeptic in this case. Can someone shed light on this for me? Could it be possible that my slave cylinder has gone to crap, or that something was not adjusted right when installed? I would really like to save some money and not have to buy a whole new setup right now.

Thank you in advance.

Cliffs:
AWE Stage 2 Clutch/Flywheel installed 30k ago
Highway Driving, no racing
Clutch engages right at the top
slips between 3k and 5k only when boosting past 10psi
Drives fine normally
Old 10-23-2009, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had this problem when I first had my clutch installed. But i had slip right away after 300 miles (at 3000RPMS). Turned out to be the wrong clutch set up for my car. Was the shops fault for sending the wrong product.

You can see my set up down below but mine engages about 3-4 inches off the floor. Very close to the floor. I've always heard when the clutch grabs at the last inch or so, means its about to go.

Could have just been improperly installed.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default FYI:

Had the same prob with a stg3 kevlar clutchmasters (slipping after 3k mi. break in)... went to a stg4 SB and it has great drive/durability... I'm convinced that the 250 lbs. + of torque (APR 93oct, milltek exhaust etc.) and the quattro sytems put a lot of stress on clutches. My stock clutch slipped at 50% throttle with the stock clutch the day i chipped it.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just sounds like the disk is near the end of its life, if it has warn down far enough the disk will be much smaller causing less pedal travel to release the disk.

You can send the disk to SB to get it relined and have them resurface the pressure plate and flywheel.

It is not possible for the clutch to be good for 29k if some thing was installed incorrectly.