A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I'm so.. effed...Stripped 6mm bolts during timing belt change...Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:30 AM
flc
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback so far.... This has been less than ideal and not the way I really wanted to start 2015 .... Anyway, good that this is a spare car, so it's sitting in my garage as I figure out what to do next.

A few responses to people's post.

1. no, I didn't physically try the external bolt extractors, because (a) they are like $40 for a set and when I tried to get normal socket in around the bolt to test fit, it was hard to get the socket in between the crankbolt and the bolt itself. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get some anyway...

2. The 6 mm socket will no longer work. I already tryed jamming a Torx t-40 in there, and a 7mm socket in there... Both no help.. I guess my first mistake was that when first trying to get it off, I simply used a breaker bar and tried to put my weight into it. I should have just taken a sledge to it to try to loosen it... Dumb me...

3. How hard is it to take out the crank nut? I've been researching this, and some have said it can't be done without an impact wrench, which I don't have.. On the 2.8 and 2.7, there's a tool to hold the cams from spinning. What about for the 1.8T?

Others say take a long breaker bar with a good 19mm socket on it and let the bar rest on something solid (like the ground) and start the car with the spark plugs off.... (shudders at this thought...knowing me, I'll eff up something else)....

Regarding drilling things out...
From my research so far...A new harmonic balancer will cost close to $300-400 if I eff that up.. However, from my research, a new crankshaft sprocket (assuming I can get it off the crank), is $20-99 ($20 from fleebay used, $99 is OEM, with some 3rd parties in between 30-40)...

So it seems like the main problem now is, how hard will it be for me to take off the crankshaft nut...
Old 12-31-2014, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can you borrow an air wrench setup from someone or rent one? A couple of blaps with that will get that crank bolt out. If you have the crank pinned it should be easy enough with a breaker bar and new parts are cheap like you said.
$32 plus shipping will get you a new sprocket and crank bolt.

Good luck! Patience is key. It will happen. Happy New Year! Have a beer!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:22 AM
flc
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Can you borrow an air wrench setup from someone or rent one? A couple of blaps with that will get that crank bolt out. If you have the crank pinned it should be easy enough with a breaker bar and new parts are cheap like you said.
$32 plus shipping will get you a new sprocket and crank bolt.

Good luck! Patience is key. It will happen. Happy New Year! Have a beer!

Dumb question. How do I pin the crank on the 1.8T?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The crank does not pin on the 1.8T - which is what makes this difficult for you. You need to get a socket on one of your hex head bolts that you replaced the old bolts with, and use a wrench to create counter force on the bolt while you use a breaker bar to loosen the crank shaft bolt. The issue is, those bolts you replaced things with probably shear easier than the regular bolts, so be careful.

The BEST way to do it is to get an impact wrench AND a torch. Heat the snot out of the bolt with some MAP gas, then hit it with the impact wrench.

Where are you located?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:24 AM
flc
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jseklund
The crank does not pin on the 1.8T - which is what makes this difficult for you. You need to get a socket on one of your hex head bolts that you replaced the old bolts with, and use a wrench to create counter force on the bolt while you use a breaker bar to loosen the crank shaft bolt. The issue is, those bolts you replaced things with probably shear easier than the regular bolts, so be careful.

The BEST way to do it is to get an impact wrench AND a torch. Heat the snot out of the bolt with some MAP gas, then hit it with the impact wrench.

Where are you located?
SoCal... Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to avoid taking off the crank nut because I'm paranoid it's going to mess up something else (like causing me to misalign the timing gears, which it don't think will happen, but given my luck these past few days...... I think there's a notch at the back of the gear and I can scribe the crank to make sure it's not off the mark.... )

I guess I'm not in a hurry so let me think about how to tackle this, if at all. A mobile mechanic offered to do it for a reasonable price. So there's that option possibility. Part of me hates admitting defeat
Old 12-31-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry about the crank pin deal. I haven't to do my 1.8 yet so was just guessing. Man that would make life easier.

Heat and an impact which the mobile mechanic will have should do the trick.

I can't think of anything that you could screw up taking off the pulley. If you do go ahead with new stuff both bolt and pulley and, of course, pulley bolts.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you will need to set the timing anyway. The sprocket behind the pulley you are removing is keyed to the crank shaft. You just need to mark the pulleys so you can align the screws when you put those back in. Getting the belt on and getting the timing right will take a little doing the first time, the pulleys will spin and you'll have a little trouble, but once you see it work, it will be easy.

You couldn't be much further from me, since I'm on Cape Cod. Do you have an air compressor? Having tools makes all the difference in the world. If this were my car, I'd be pulling the crank bolt and inspecting the seal behind there anyway for leaks. I'd also replace the bolts with the right audi bolts....but I may consider your solution.

So, you can admit defeat and pay the mechanic. Or you can buy the bolt extractors and try them. If they don't work, they will once you get the crank bolt out. Honestly, when I bought my set of bolt extractors I was PISSED that they cost so much. It is probably the best $40 I've spent though. They make big problems small.

I think when I bought them, I did the same thing - spent DAYS trying to get a bolt out. Finally broke down and bought it and the bolt came right out, and I've since used them dozens of times to make what could have been additional day-long jobs only take minutes.

I personally think the best approach is just to get a torch and impact wrench, take that crank bolt out, get it on a bench and take those screws out. If you can get your hands on the tools, it will take A LOT less time than you've already invested.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you have ability to weld? Can a bolt head be welded onto the stumpy mess you have there so it can be undone as normal?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:41 AM
flc
AudiWorld Member

Ah yes.. The gift that keeps giving......

So I was in the mall and stopped by sears and picked up some bolt-outs

Suppose to be really tough and virtually indestructible... Also, while there I decided to pick up a impact wrench (200ft/lb).....

The results...

The bolts won...

The bolt outs did slightly strip too....

And the impact wrench didn't do didly on the crank bolt (I suspect it's not really 200ft/lb and I need something closer to 300ft/lb anyway)....
Old 01-03-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hope you didn't use the impact wrench on the nut extractor! I see the breaker bar there - that should have done the job...
Whats holding those damn things in??

Next up is a heat and cool job - use a torch (preferably an oxy set up, but one of those portable bottle gas jobbies will do).
Fire it up, concentrate the heat on the bolt heads (one at a time) and get them red hot. Once done, let it/them cool right back down (have a beer or three). Now try the nut extractor again...

Quick Reply: I'm so.. effed...Stripped 6mm bolts during timing belt change...Any ideas?