A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

intermittent no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default intermittent no start

My kid's 2001 A4 2.8 manual starts/runs fine most of the time. However, sometimes you turn the key and nothing. No sounds, clicks, anything. Assumed it was a dead battery and put jumper cables on. Tried to start after a few seconds, still nothing. Tried it a couple more times, still nothing. Then it started perfectly. Noticed the clock/date still was good.

I am thinking the battery is fine (less than 1 year old). I am guessing it is an intermittent connection somewhere. Is this a normal failure for a 2001? What do I check first? Clutch safety switch, ignition switch, ground somewhere? What is the proper procedure for this?

Any suggestions?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start with the battery.
Take it to your local shop and have them test it and also inspect the wires from the battery.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I put the battery on my charger, while still installed in the car. It showed the battery to be charged. Battery connections are clean and tight.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor

Does your charger have a battery check mode?

It could be an intermittent short in the battery itself. The battery could show proper voltage but not have enough amps from a short in the battery.

Also check the cables to the starter.

Last edited by AutohausAZ-Mike; 08-14-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unfortunately I don't think there is s single weak point, so all the things you mentioned, plus the starter and the module in the trunk, could be intermittent. I do think you are on the right track though, doesn't sound much like a battery, when the battery is weak you will see all the dash lights dim, and frequently hear the click from the starter. I like to cut the problem in two, the first thing I would do is while it is failing jump the starter. Connect the battery post on the starter solenoid to the spade lug, if the engine cranks you know that your battery, cables, and starter are good. Of course make sure that it is out of gear, and properly support the car, you will have to do it from underneath. I always let my kid do these checks, after all it is their car, and alas I don't bend as well as I once did. One thing you might want to check is the module in the trunk, they sometimes get wet causing all sorts of strange problems. It is behind the gas tank filler right next to the air vent under the bumper cover. Good luck with it, those intermittents can be a pain to find.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks David for all the good info. I will begin the process.

Have ruled out the battery. Today it would not start so I pulled out the key and reinserted it and the clutch. Noticed the dash warning to depress the clutch did not go out even with the clutch depressed. Did this three times with nothing, no noise at all. The fourth time it started perfectly. The depress clutch warning was still lit but it started. Is this symptomatic? Or does this warning never go out until the car starts?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello there, as a matter of fact, I got the same problem too and my battery is about 2 mos old. Also I have the check engine light on for some reason. Apart from that, all works ok. But I will check the cables. Thx.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have your codes scanned, I had a similar issue with my car and the answer was G28 Crank Position Sensor which would cause an intermittent no start (sometimes when hot, or just sitting) and would require me to crank the car several times until it found the default cranking position, and would then run, poorly.

Of course, check other things such as for spark, fuel, air, and compression.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default no codes present

Originally Posted by quattrob501a4mt
Have your codes scanned, I had a similar issue with my car and the answer was G28 Crank Position Sensor which would cause an intermittent no start (sometimes when hot, or just sitting) and would require me to crank the car several times until it found the default cranking position, and would then run, poorly.

Of course, check other things such as for spark, fuel, air, and compression.
This is intermittent. Has not happened recently. I am guessing it has to do with the clutch switch only because if I depress the clutch hard to the floor once or twice it seems to allow me to start the car. At least is has the last few times I have started it over the last couple of months.

It is my son's summer driver when he is home from college. It will sit for the next 7 months or so. I will run it once a month to keep everything in order.

Eventually I will report back what I learn.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default resolved

Well, problem finally became bothersome. Decided it was one of three likely issues, clutch safety switch, ignition switch, or convenience module in the trunk area. Removed the knee bolster and bypassed the clutch switch. Simply unplugged it and put a jumper in the plug. All of 20 minutes beginning to end. Then I inspected the module in the trunk to see if there was corrosion from water leakage; nothing. Figured if the no start issue continued then I was down to ignition switch.

No longer a problem. Starter engages every time now. Must have been the clutch safety switch. Will report back if the issue comes back.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply: intermittent no start