A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Issues in the Rain with shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues in the Rain with shifting.

I'm new to the group and this is my first post. I did read all the rules and I couldn't find anything that was close to my issue So I'm Making this post for some help.

First things first my car is a 2000 A4 1.8T FWD with an Auto trans.

The issue

So yesterday I was driving and everything was going fine no issues. Then it just started pouring rain and I mean pouring. (Had my wipers on full and it wasn't even good enough.) Everything was still going fine. Then all of a sudden when I tried to accelerate the car started acting like it couldn't get traction. It acted like it down shifted and just shot the RPMs up high (at about 6K and then didn't shift. I thought nothing of it just thinking it was slipping because the road was kinda flooded. So I moved into the other lane Slowed down to get traction. Car still didn't shift and when I slowly tried to accelerate I had the same issue. Then it finally shifted. At that time the rain had stopped and I had a road that wasn't flooded. I hit a stop light and went to go and it was ok as I started to press on the gas good to get up to speed the car jerked and then shot the RPM's super high again. I tried to **** if myself with the triptronic and it did nothing. Pulled over and shut the car off and tried to restart it. No issues with that. went to go and in first it was fine as it went into 2nd or 3rd it did the something rough shift and high RMPs then all of a sudden it shifted again and was fine. I drove a little ways to get to have the CEL read. (IDK if it was a new CEL or not because its already on for a post cat 02 Sensor). No issues still got to Auto zone and they where swamped so I left to go across the street to the store and at that time it did it one more time only when I got on the gas. Went into the store came back out and it was running fine and shifting perfect even if I got on it. And its still acting fine today. The only thing I can see was that after a time of when something would've dried of the issue stopped. What do you guys think the issue could be?

Im sorry for such a long post but I wanted to give all the details.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

90 Looks and no thoughts. Any kind of thoughts would be welcome on to what could possible cause something like that
Old 07-06-2016, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check that the drains are clear inside the rain tray area. There are two drains, one under the battery, the other under is under/near the abs pump/brake fluid reservioir if I recall correctly.

It's possible that water is entering into the car through the hood pull latch because the train tray area is flooded with water. That would allow it to flood the floor underneath the carpet.. The transmission control module is underneath the carpet in either the driver or passenger footwell. If it's getting wet, I can imagine shifting issues.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was kinda thinking the same as well. So I checked all of them and they all seemed good But the ones under the car are kinda hard to know for sure so Im toing to clean out the tops and then run a wire down them just to make sure they are good. And I reset the Trans as well. Haven't had any issues since that rain storm but it hasn't really been that bad since then either.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The main electrical connectors for the trans are right at the bottom and can get destroyed with oil from leaks and oil filter changes, and then allow water inside of them. Might be worth checking.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll check that then as well just to make sure. Thanks for the tip. Of that's it do I have to replace them or is there any other way to repair them.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

chances are you can just clean them up and possibly seal them with silicone or tape.