A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Leaking Power Steering Fluid

Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Power Steering Fluid

Hello everyone, I own a 2000 Audi A4.
Love the car but it has given me so many headaches.

My current issue is leaking power steering fluid.
Imagine with me if you will, follow the hose from the power steering container down to what looks like a pump, then another hose extends to what looks like the steering wheel ( if i dont know what i am talking about forgive me). The hose leaving the pump looking mechanism is some kind of metal connected to a rubber hose that continues to the steering wheel.

Its at the connection point of the metal and rubber hose that i believe its leaking. its very wet looking and grease piled on, as well as a collection of oil on the hoses underneath it.

If anyone can advise me on how to fix this myself i would appreciate it much.
the hose looks like its crimped on ( agian sorry if i dont know what im talking about)

I am an electrician not a mechanic but I am decent with my hands.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

If it is only the hose that is leaking then you can replace just the hose. You can purchase one with the right crimp-on metal connectors from any of the sponsors or ebay if you like. Before you order anything you definitely want to check out the steering rack and make sure there aren't any leaks there. You can make a small pin-sized hole in your inner tie-rod boot and see if green power steering fluid drips out. If your rack is leaking it is a pain-full and expensive repair. If only the hose or the washers at the end of the hose and rack is/are bad it is not as expensive but still painful. Check out the rest of the Power steering system for leaks and report back. Good Luck.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to double clamp my hoses on the plastic resovior. look and see if you have any bubbles in the resovior or does your car whine. If you do it could be because of the leaking or the seals are gone on the steering rack. Also check the end boots that cover the tie rods. if they have fluid in them your rack is shot. I had to replace mine after 80K miles. Found one for a Passat at the junk yard. Not to bad to replace. Most of the problems effect the same year models
Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a Passat that developed a leak that was just as you describe, fluid dripped from the rubber jacket that encases the actual hose. For about $80 from autohausaz.com, replacing this "pressure hose" solved the leak. You'd also need power steering fluid, so for around $100 you could fix the leak and change the fluid. This isn't the easiest A4 job though, the hose connection under the rack is hard to reach. On the similar Passat, I needed a U-joint socket, 19mm I think, to work the attachment bolt.

I'll pass along these tips in case you do this yourself: Take the driver's side wheel off, and the plastic tie-rod shield. You'll see through the opening where the hose attaches. Use the U-jointed socket on this end to remove the bolt, using a ratchet with extension held under the car, and then a wrench at the pump's banjo bolt to disconnect the old hose. Then pre-install the rack-end bolt with both new washers on the looped-tube end of the new hose assembly with a rubber band wrapped around the threads (leaving the last few threads exposed). This will hold them together until you get the threads started, because there's no room to get your hand there. Have a helper move the hose until you can fit your U-joint socket on the bolt and get the threads started. Pull the rubber band with a hooked-end wire to break it off, then tighten the bolt. It should go without saying that this area must be degreased and washed clean before starting the job.

Last edited by turbo510; 07-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gentlemen thank you for the replies.

I started to poke around the tie rod boot, i do not believe it is leaking.

I did not have a chance to go further than this because my right front caliper was leaking again (installed new by me), actually it was the new copper hose (installed by me) that feeds the caliper that was damaged because I folded it too much. So new hoses in place and bleed the mother ****er AGAIN!!!!
still brakes like crap, im going to leave it for a couple days because last week was the same thing, after the installation and bleed, brakes were weak, but with a few days it stiffened. Hope it happens again.

Now for the steering hose, I will attempt tomorrow. I will have to re-read the last post to wrap my head around all the details.

Thanks again, and ill keep you posted.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Monroe
...actually it was the new copper hose (installed by me) that feeds the caliper that was damaged because I folded it too much.
What copper hose?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

maybe its not copper on yours, they come in steel also i think.
its the metal line that feeds the brake fluid into the caliper.
its soft flexible tubing with threaded bolt or screws ( however you name it) on both ends
Old 07-09-2011, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Monroe, I admire your determination, but get concerned when you don't seem to know the difference between rubber and copper, and you are driving around in a car that "brakes like crap". It may be that your car gives you headaches because you need to get a decent repair manual and learn the terminology and procedures before wrenching on it. Concerning this leaking hose, it should wait until you get those brakes done right. If you crash into something, the hose leak won't matter anymore.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I work with copper for a living. and yes i am taking risks by doing this myself, but I dont have money to spend. Plus I am learning, believe me i would rather take it to a shop.

My car gives me headaches because I bought it with 108,000 miles.
I already spent more than what I payed for it, much more, experience with monkey mechanics taking advantage of me, 5 tows in a years period. Taking this opportunity to learn how to fix my own car.

So copper line gets connected to the rubber one. I promise you its there. I did not notice if it was on all tires though, there was no need for me to notice, only had to change the one.

As far as the brakes, All I did was replace a caliper and bleed the system. And after several hours of driving it stiffened. And yesterday the copper line broke because i tried to imitate the bend that it had previously. I guess with the up and down motion it folded too many times and ripped open. I replaced it again, and did the bleed same way.

Now allow me to explain how i bled the brakes, I started at the rear right tire and finished at the right passenger tire. I had a helper pump the brake while i collected the fluid through a clear hose to take notice of any air bubbles. I opened while he pressed down, and closed while he had it pressed down so not to let air back into the system. The first three tires at end of procedure had no air. The last tire (front passenger) is the one that was weird, no matter how many times we pumped air out, the initial burst on me opening the bleeding screw looked like carbonated water with very fine bubbles, but smoothed out to absolutely no bubbles. Every single time i did it on that tire it looked exactly the same.

And this is my story, fyi, the car brakes, but does not brake well, i take caution till i resolve it.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Monroe

Now allow me to explain how i bled the brakes, I started at the rear right tire and finished at the right passenger tire.
Sounds about right but finish on the wheel closest to the master cylinder, left front (you work your way from farthest to closest). That copper line thing still worries me. Could someone have replaced the steel with copper before you got the car? I'd get that replaced before you have to stomp on the brakes and the tube blows open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking Power Steering Fluid