A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Low beams and high beams aren't working, already tried the switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low beams and high beams aren't working, already tried the switch

Hey guys and girls,

I hate doing this on my first post to a forum but I have to start off with question on a well covered topic as I am quickly running out of ideas.

I have a 1999 Audi A4 V6 Quattro with ~97,000 miles on the clock and it has ran like a top for months, until today when the headlights decided to stop functioning.

I have done an hour or so of searching and stumbled upon this link:AudiWorld Tech Articles
and followed the directions to clean the contacts on the switch and trim away some of the melted plastic guide so the contacts float in the springs a little better but to no avail.

I have also checked all the fuses for the high beam and low beams which check out fine as well.

The bulbs are good, and when I pull back on the indicator stalk I do get high beams (which leads me to believe the problem is somewhere in the switch).

Should I just replace the entire switch unit and see if that fixes it or is there anything I am overlooking? I hate throwing money at problems if I can help it but will if that is truly my problem.

Thank you! I hope my stay here is good and I can provide info on topics which I am familiar in the future.

-Danny
Old 06-01-2015, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by for_my_health
I have done an hour or so of searching and stumbled upon this link:AudiWorld Tech Articles
and followed the directions to clean the contacts on the switch and trim away some of the melted plastic guide so the contacts float in the springs a little better but to no avail.
**UPDATE**

So on further review I went back through the article and cleaned the contacts on the switch AGAIN and trimmed some more material off of the white plastic guide that holds the contacts which fixed the issue.

However, I'll bet I will have to replace the entire switch in the future as the plastic piece causes the lights to intermittently stop working by holding the contact up off of the switch contact.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 Long term fix for failing head light switch

The headlight switch will continue to overheat and stop working until this modification is installed. The relays installed will handle all of the headlight current that the light switch used to not handle to well at all.

This will keep the heat out of the headlight switch and prevent any future failure.

I will attache a PDF of my drawing that I created and used to install the modification into my 1996 - 2001 B5 A4.

1996 - 2001 B5 Audi A4 Head Light Modification Rev 2 .pdf