A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Meet Audrey - 2000 Audi A4 (B5) 2.4 V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured out how to upload pics... didn't really take any, these are from the ad posted on our local gumtree.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This was from the day I had picked her up and started working on those CV's.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey everyone, apologies for the late update, but picked up my baby from her service some time back, I was absolutely impressed, the diagnostics came back and the airbag light is the only thing to worry about electronically, gotta remove my front bumper and check out those sensors grrr... it's just the suspension to sort out, stuff like the steering rack ends, tie rod ends, will save up for the control arms. Gonna have to monitor whether she has any oil leaks, but gonna change the tappet cover gaskets and the plug seals just to be on the safe side. I've attached a pic of my old parts, it was horrific to say the least. There was a botched job on the discs, the wheel bearings were actually forced into the disc. There was crap in the coolant and my plugs had some oil on them. I highly recommend Riet River Mechanical to anyone who has an old lady like mine as they offer a 1 year warranty on all work done.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thought I'd share some pics, here she is with her much younger siblings.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Recently took it for a bit of a spirited drive a few days ago, it actually drove pretty well, but then again I had gotten some new shoes and replaced my Tie-Rod ends on both sides.

The ride wasn't too bad, considering her age, and it came pretty close to that on the B8.5.

Took her into AA on Saturday for her COR, and she passed, so pretty chuffed about that.

Just awaiting my cabin filter to arrive, and will be booking her in for her "leaky" issues, takes a day and a half to be done.

Managed to sort out my fog light issues, turns out it was a blown fuse or two, silly owners couldn't replace the darn fuses... grr...

Seriously considering upgrading the light bulbs on this thing, any advice? heard that some HID kits pop windscreen washer motors.

Also looking into upgrading my speakers, but keeping the Concert 1, as it is the most aesthetically pleasing head unit, apart from the RNS-E, but gosh they cost an arm and a leg! Shocked Considering going for a pair of Rockford Fosgate Prime speakers for the front and rears, as well as a Rockford Fosgate amplifier to give it that little extra juice.

Will be upgrading to Llumar Smash and Grab film as well.

As far as any other upgrades are concerned, they will be purely cosmetic.

Anyone had a look at MRC's B5 S4? that's pretty much what I'm going for, except the bumpers seem to cost my arms, legs and nuts, and honestly, I still don't think it would be enough.

Last edited by Trevor Govender; 08-22-2016 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I decided to look around and see if I can get this bumper, stumbled around a few sites and there's a company in Poland called RS Tuning, and they're advertising on Alibaba. I am obviously skeptical because of the prices they have advertised on their site, however, I am gonna order something small and see what happens from there.

Turns out that they're linked to another site called wendesign.co.uk

Will have a chat with some buddies of mine in the UK to see how reputable they really are before dropping any doe.

Lmao RS4 replica bumper at 89 quid (ZAR 1550 ish / 115 USD) before shipping?

Sounds way too good to be true.

If anyone has ordered stuff from Wen Design, please do let me know.

Last edited by Trevor Govender; 08-22-2016 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately I won't be ordering any of those parts anytime soon.

Had to pay off the balance of my student fees... faaaark! and sometime back, when we had those really heavy rains, the Polo had a lil accident, my radiator cradle broke, well my bumper and grills took a lil knock too. Spoke to a buddy of mine at VW and got quoted a whopping ZAR R11k (810 USD) excluding VAT for the radiator cradle, a front bumper, a pair of fogs and those bottom grilles. Picked up the radiator cradle tho, pricing wasn't too bad when compared to the ZAR R3,5k (250 USD) ex VAT, couldn't go el cheapo either. Picked up a wheel well too. Weather permitting, tomorrow I will take out the front of the car and install the new one.

Turns out I have another problem... my rear windscreen has this knocking/rattling noise grrr Angry, well that's because the upper molding has rust on the corners. Spoke to my local Glasfit this morning in regard to whether they can sort the problem out, and was told that I need to purchase the molding and then bring the car to them... honestly, I have no idea where to look for the darn part, and no, I don't want to go to the stealers... well not just yet. Hoping a buddy of mine who owns a body shop will be able to help me out.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well as in one of my previous replies, said I'm gonna tackle the Polo. Parts that needed to be changed were the radiator cradle and the front passenger wheel well. As you can see a sneak peak of our only non VAG vehicle... Le 2010 Kia Sportage.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Took out the front bumper, and this is what awaited me...

New Cradle vs Old one.

Whipped out the Karcher gave her engine bay a slight clean.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Trevor, congrats on your purchase ;-)

I own a 2.4 V6 B5 as well and have had it for four years now. It has 136,000km's on her now and has given me many grey hairs.

If you check out my YouTube channel, you can see all the things I've done to her. Last year, the aircon evaporator packed up - had it replaced at an auto aircon service outlet and then, three months later the heater core packed up.

I replaced the heater core myself - yes, I removed the entire dash from the bitch. It's the worst job I've ever done on any of my cars. My advice, if you have issues with either - replace both evaporator and heater core when you have the HVAC out the car.

Other things you'll have to watch for are multiple coolant leaks from various coolant pipes. Mine first started with the feeder and return pipes to and from the heater core at the back of the engine, then two little pipes under the car leading to the transmission and then the water expansion tank. I eventually just replaced ALL water hoses to stop coolant issues.

Another thing to watch for is that annoying oil leak at the back of the cylinder head on the right side (if you're sitting in the car) - usually requires a little kit for the chain tensioner and gasket to be fitted. You will know when it starts when you smell burnt oil coming through the vents.

Don't mean to scare you, but those are the BIG things that can go wrong - however, with the mileage your car has, most of that probably has been done already ;-)

If you want to check out my car, come check it at https://www.youtube.com/user/Hiltoncam/videos

Quick Reply: Meet Audrey - 2000 Audi A4 (B5) 2.4 V6