A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Multiple 2.8 issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple 2.8 issues

Hi All,

After picking up the car from the mechanic for suspension work, I'm having some struggles. First, the battery was dead as a doornail (it had to sit for 3 weeks- monies!). So I replaced the battery. Since then, the rpms are too low, it stalls out when I push the clutch in. It has begun to settle down after a week of driving. However, now I'm running out of gas super fast (I got 175 miles out of a full tank!). I tried to change the fuel filter, but gave up- I couldn't get the old one out.

While I was doing the fuel filter, I decided to check the plugs. (I replaced the valve cover gaskets two years ago along with the ignition coil, plugs and wires). One and two are sitting in oil. Is it common for these to leak like this? I sealed that **** up, I spent quite the hours making sure there were no leaks, gaps, etc... I haven't even checked the other side, but I can see a bit of oil leaking, so I can only assume that gasket is blown as well.

I've got a little over 200k on the car. I'm getting misfires on all cylinders.

My last Audi (1989 90 Quattro) lasted for nearly 250k with way less issues, and I didn't take care of it at all, as I was young and dumb.

Prior to the suspension work, there was not this kind of stuff going on. I get that maybe the throttle needed to re-align, but this is crazy. A suspension job should not cause this kind of problem. I didn't have this last year when the same mechanic replaced the alternator and v belt.

As well, if anyone is in the western mass area and wants to come help, I'll make you dinner and feed you! All my friends say "get rid of it, get a ford!".
Old 04-12-2015, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh, and one more thing: when i pulled the fuse for the fuel pump, I noticed it was a 20 amp. Isn't is supposed to be 15?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First you never said what year, so im gonna assume 30V V6 98+

Your bad idle and running after battery dead is the ECU has lost the throttle adaption. You need a good scan tool or vag com to be able to reset the adaption. Do some research on it. You clear faults, go to basic settings, group 060 and watch the 3rd field. if it says adapt then ok your good, if it says failed or no avalible, you may have another issue, bad throttle, wiring to ecu from throttle body.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Apologies, its a 99. Cable should be here tomorrow.
Is it normal for the valve covers to leak so much? My other one (5 cylinder 90 or maybe 80) only had a head gasket issue once; replaced and all was well. I'm guessing I'll have to replace the whole gasket(s)again. If it was just one side, I'd guess it needed to be machined. But the other side seems to be leaking as well.
Although now I can't seem to get the fuel filter fasteners back on tight enough and its slowly dripping gas from the lower banjo.
Rawr! Why must such a lovely car be such a beast? When she's bad, she's really bad!
Old 04-13-2015, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by audigrrrl4
Apologies, its a 99. Cable should be here tomorrow.
Is it normal for the valve covers to leak so much? My other one (5 cylinder 90 or maybe 80) only had a head gasket issue once; replaced and all was well. I'm guessing I'll have to replace the whole gasket(s)again. If it was just one side, I'd guess it needed to be machined. But the other side seems to be leaking as well.
Although now I can't seem to get the fuel filter fasteners back on tight enough and its slowly dripping gas from the lower banjo.
Rawr! Why must such a lovely car be such a beast? When she's bad, she's really bad!
Its not the valve cover leaking. Its the rear cam plugs and timing chain tensioner gaskets w/ rubber half moon. They must be replaced when the valve covers are off or you will not solve the leaking problem.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's not unusual for the valve covers to leak as well as the cam plugs and tensioner gasket on the 2.8 30v. The valve covers can leak on the 'inside' and/or the 'outside' as there are separate gaskets for the perimter of the valve cover and another in the interior where the spark plugs are. When they leak on the 'inside' you find a pool of oil in the the spark plug wells.

If the valve covers and/or tensioner gaskets and/or end-plugs are leaking, they should all be replaced at the same time. Additionally, you should inspect your PCV system. If the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system becomes clogged, there will be excess pressure under the valve covers and your new valve covers will start leaking again real soon. A frequently faulty component of the PCV system is a little device known as the Suction Pump. If it clogs/fails, no more ventilation. Online Audi parts retailers sell it for about $30. I ALWAYS replace the suction pump when I do the valve covers and tensioner gaskets. There are writeups on this site on where to find and how to replace the suction pump.
One tell of a clogged suction pump is oil around where the pump connects to the vent system. However, no leak at that location does not indicate that it is NOT faulty.