A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

NEW Audi Owner.. 14 codes possibly Limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
So you reckon you can replace ECU, ABS, Instrument Cluster (pre-facelift North American cars, yeah OK), Central Locking Pump, and TCU without any VCDS programming?
OK, though every Tech Article I've ever read for doing those jobs always gives a procedure for Vagcom/VCDS programming.

...but of course, what do I know.
Yes sir replace any module youd like used and it will go in fine. Any brand new modules may need coded or else the module itself has no idea what it is or does.

The thing you talking about with not accepting foreign modules is a much newer Audi/VW thing (like C6, B7 ect)and is absurd! Basically making buying used modules to save money down the road impossible except for the dealer to do. Scam is what it is.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaOrigin
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 automatic
My first issues's:
Automatic (triptronic wont work, we found out the magnets weren't sitting right, fixed still wont work)
On the cluster
speed odometer wouldn't work but rpms would
fuel dummy light comes on and off, sometimes reads right ammount
oil pressure gauge didnt work
I test drove this car 10 times before i bought it. Lol No problems from what i could tell.
Soon as i bought it pulled out of the guys neighborhood the car died. Cranked back up i guess it needed gas. So i got gas.
I drove it for about 2 hours afterwards on the highway, no issues(other than the lights lit up like a x mas tree.)sick car!!
Started trying to fix it...
For the longest time it wouldn't communicate with code readers up until recently.
Now i have went through 2 batteries since ive owned it for about a year or so. It didnt go many places just sometimes down the road.
When i would try to take a sharp turn it would die. Or like hitting the brakes and turning is the way it seemed.
I jump started it a few times. I think i blew up the computer. Checked the computer didnt smell fried. check relay dosnt smell fried. Pulling my hair out on this one, ready to trade for non running Chevy rotflmao.

Lights on dash:
ABS
SRS
check engine
it says Service (where the mileage is)

My codes are as follows 14 of them
P1545
P1435
P1421
P1425
P1472
P1338
These are pending codes:
P0134
P0154
P1196
P1197
P1391
P1198
P1199
P0322

Is it possible for all of this to be wrong at once? I was researching about the computer and it says something about a metal bar that goes on top of the ECU (the one under the hood) and mine didnt have a bar. Ive noticed a purple like 8 prong plug hanging by the passenger side of the engine close to valve covers couldn't find anywhere to plug it in, is it extra?

I had timing belt and water pump,spark plugs, wires, oil change,transmission fluid change, cam sensors (2), speed sensor, fuel filter, valve cover gaskets and alot more that i cant remember right now. Where is the audi god? Currently when i rev the car around 1,500 RPMs it makes a loud clack clak noise how ever when i rev it and let off, doing this several times the clacking smooths out. But again if i shut it off and go through the process again it dose it again. It sounds mechanical but i dont think it is.

Suggestions? Ive dumped 4500 in this car and now it wont even drive.
It goes fast in reverse and slower in drive. It has no power at all. (much like an old man crossing the road) lol. Also it tries to die. So much car and money going to waste. Please.. Somebody help me. I hope I gave you enough info. From my understanding its a new motor but idk for sure. The car cat for about 6-8 months at my mechanics house (hes like 65ish) Which is what killed the battery im sure. He use to work for BMW and has degree in foreign cars thats all he works on So im pretty sure he did a good job. Still clueless.

Well I feel very lucky had a buyer come buy(hes had some Audi experience) and he decided my Audi is his unicorn lmbo so we went through it looking for problems, conclusion: the oil sensor is missing on the bottom on the car and the transmission computer smells fried, thats as far as we got. He said it is rare to find an audi with white leather interior lol. Well white on white. Could that be why the speed odometer dosnt work? what other issues could be related to the tranny ECU. He said the tranny computer is normally the culprit and supposedly it is why my car makes awful noises on start up. I guess ill find out in a month and see what happens, does it also need to be adapted or plug in and go?