Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Account #: 67305

Default Noise when turning Steering wheel - getting louder

What could it be? I'm certain it's not the ball joints, but could a tie rod make that type of sound? A rubbing/creeking sound.
Help!
yiannaaudia4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 160090

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiannaaudia4 View Post
What could it be? I'm certain it's not the ball joints, but could a tie rod make that type of sound? A rubbing/creeking sound.
Help!
If you hear a grinding noise while the steering wheel is turned and held at an angle and the car is moving in a curve the noise may be from the front wheel bearings lift the car up and test each side by rotating the wheel and feeling for vibration and resistance in movement. If the noise only comes while turning the steering wheel and regardless of weather the car is in motion or not then check you power steering pump tie rod ends. Also make sure to check your serpentine belt to make sure its aligned properly and the right tension because it runs the PS pump.
moloveshisaudi1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Account #: 67305

I guess the sound is more like a whining...I'm pretty sure it's not the bearing.
yiannaaudia4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 160090

Quote:
I guess the sound is more like a whining...I'm pretty sure it's not the bearing.
Check your Power Steering pump and PS fluid level.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Former Vendor
Account #: 118112

Did you put the right PS fluid in? It is most likely a bad PS pump.
AP-Specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Account #: 160752

Just get your car checked as soon as possible. There are chances of any obstacle in your smooth power drive.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 160418

Quote:
Help!
get the power steering checked. mine started making a whiney noise a while ago and it turned out i had a slow PS leak.
2003 GTI 1.8T
2000 Mercedes ML320
laurenB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 166972

Default power steering grinding and noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by moloveshisaudi1254 View Post
If you hear a grinding noise while the steering wheel is turned and held at an angle and the car is moving in a curve the noise may be from the front wheel bearings lift the car up and test each side by rotating the wheel and feeling for vibration and resistance in movement. If the noise only comes while turning the steering wheel and regardless of weather the car is in motion or not then check you power steering pump tie rod ends. Also make sure to check your serpentine belt to make sure its aligned properly and the right tension because it runs the PS pump.
i have same problem, it was running fine and started making all these loud grinding noises when turning wheel but if its standing still the pump makes this loud type of clicking noise. and i drove it a lil and it turns on and off like on a turn it help me steer then stop and id have to put lot of effort to turn and if i turn wheel really slowly the power steering is there when faster no PS i thot was the pump and got a used one changed it and no noise but no power steering put in fliuds, now it was running fine with stock ps pulley since i changed it thats when started making noise, but i highly doubt its the pulley,,
peshkis06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 166972

and like i said when changed the pump no noise when turning or standing still, so its prob not my front wheel bearings.
peshkis06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 108879

Does it make the noise if the steering wheel is turned while the car is stationary? or only while moving? If it is only while moving it could be the beginning of a bad CV axle. Check to see if your boots are torn.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2001, a6, audi, engine, grinding, grinds, gti, make, noise, rod, s4, steering, tie, turning, wheel, whining