A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Oil leak with frigid temps.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak with frigid temps.

I have a 98 a4 quattro with the 2.8 in it. Have done alot of maitenance and lots of new gaskets and oil seals (cam etc.). Drove the car off and on during the summer and never had an oil leak. Winter set in with normal temps no problem, now with the frigid temps (-15 degrees) the oil leak has shown up back by the cam seal and valve cover on the passenger side.

Not sure if something is freezing up that is causing the engine to build crank case pressure that forces oil out. This occurred last year which was a real frigid winter. Replaced the valve covers twice, leak returned each time with new gasket till warmer weather. All the gaskets I have applied silicon to the vc gaskets and still get the leak when temps become "WI. Frigid".

I am open to suggestion. Thanks for your time.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Water and oil will accumulate in the plastic breather pipes from each valve cover, and inside that little can it all goes to, they freeze and clog. Remove clean/replace the breather parts. as you feel needed, they usually crumble to pieces so I usually say prepare to replace. If the engine cant breath, it will leak.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1998 A4 2.8 and had oil leaks last winter. Are you running synthetic oil? I have found last winter with -30F temperatures, seals and gaskets would mysteriously leak when it got really cold. Presumably, they shrunk in the cold and the easy flowing synthetic oil had not problems sneaking past the slight gap.

This year I am running conventional motor oil and there are no puddles under the car. It's not as cold as last year, however.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile 1 0-40

Originally Posted by Oneplank
I have a 1998 A4 2.8 and had oil leaks last winter. Are you running synthetic oil? I have found last winter with -30F temperatures, seals and gaskets would mysteriously leak when it got really cold. Presumably, they shrunk in the cold and the easy flowing synthetic oil had not problems sneaking past the slight gap.

This year I am running conventional motor oil and there are no puddles under the car. It's not as cold as last year, however.
Yes, I am running synthetics, Mobile 1 0-40w. Now that the temps are more normal here in Wisconsin 20's there is no more oil leak. I just find it hard to beleive that being such a "german engineered" car that this is something that would never happen. Being that Audi's are viewed some what as a luxury car in sense it is rather embarrassing to have a puddle of oil under your car. I can buy a chevy for a lot less and have the same oil puddle issue. Thanks your comment on switching back to petrolium base oils. Maybe I will try a heavier viscosity.