Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 106481

Default Possible to change serpentine belt without removing front bumper?

My serpentine belt shredded yesterday. I've got a new belt, and I'm hoping that there is someone on here who has replaced a serpentine belt without removing the front bumper, etc. I tried searching for this specifically and couldn't find anything.

I've replaced the serpentine belt when doing the timing belt and all that, but never just on its own. Is it impossible to do without removing the front bumper?

1.8t motor if that helps at all.

Thanks for any input on this!!!
tarpeyphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 196934

How long since TB was done last? If close then do it all. Reason I ask is the serp should last between TB service unless something else is bad.

It is possible, but very tight with front on.
5v/cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member

Did timing belt and all other belts at about 160k and it's at 185k now. So only 25k ago. Not sure what happened there.

Any tips for doing it with the front bumper on?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 92877

I've replaced my alternator and tensioner pulley without taking the front end off. If I were to do the pulley and belt again though, I'd drop it into service position. Its a few extra bolts, but less swearing and probably a time saver as well.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 150900

Better check your serp tensioner roller and anything else turned by the belt while the belt is off. I found the bearing on my 2.8's serp tensioner to be dry; pried off one bearing seal and regreased (I have a new bearing but need to grind off pulley rivets to change it). Your 1.8T should't any special procedures. Even the V6's belt doesn't require anything other than deflecting the tensioner with a ratchet wrench. By the way, The belt should last far longer than 25K, our '99 Passat 1.8 has the OE belt at 135K.

turbo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 207440

When I did my serp belt I did not put the car in service mode. Mine is a 2.8L so what I did was able to get a socket and ratchet down there for the tensioner and loosen the belt, then I looped the belt through the radiator fan, up and out. Now to get it back through, same way, slide the belt through the fan shroud and blades, then was able to match it up on the pulleys, cake!
thewayiseeit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok yeah, that was much easier than I was expecting. Thanks for the responses!

No idea what was up with that belt. It was all dry rotted/cracked. Definitely feel like it should have lasted much longer. The previous belt lasted a lot longer with no issues.

Timing belt still looks brand new. Should be good to go I guess, I'll just check it out once in a while.

I have NO idea why anyone would take off the bumper and all of that to replace their serpentine belt on this motor. Seems completely ridiculous.

Again, thanks guys.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
18t, 1998, 2003, 20t, a4, a8, accessory, audi, b7, belt, change, front, passat, removing, rollers, serpentine, timing, vw