A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Question from a writer- How to steal an Audi

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question from a writer- How to steal an Audi

Hi All,
This is a weird question to ask, especially from a new member. I am a writer working on a manuscript (mystery/action adventure) where the main character is caught in a tight spot and needs to steal an Audi. Maybe an A4 but the model doesn't really matter. It needs to be a newer model as the owner is wealthy and wouldn't drive an older car. The car is locked and the hero has no keys. He also has now electricity available and no computer to break into the keyless ignition.
I've done the normal internet search and can't find a believable solution. My readers would call me on it if I just through some bull**** on the paper.
I found a site that lists a five-step procedure that involves running a jumper cable from the battery to the starter solenoid and some other steps but I'm not so sure.
I'm not trying to steal a car....I promise.
If anyone out there can offer ideas I would really appreciate it. If you don't feel comfortable answering on this forum please contact me by email directly.
Thanks for any ideas.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Perhaps this will help...

Keeping Your Car Safe From Electronic Thieves - The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/.../keeping-y...c-thieves.html
Old 07-25-2015, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Peter B.
Perhaps this will help...

Keeping Your Car Safe From Electronic Thieves - The New York Times
www.nytimes.com/.../keeping-your-car-safe-from-electronic-thieves.html
Thanks for the quick reply. I read some other articles about computers being used to hack the keyless systems but this amplifier was new to me. I don't think this will work in my scenario though. My guy is old school.
The car doesn't have to have a keyless system either. I suppose the lower limit of the model I have in mind would be 2007.......
Old 07-30-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It really is not possible to start an Audi newer than 2000 with no key, that and the steering lock. I see this is in the B5 section, im not sure any wealthy people drive B5's anymore lol. If he is wealthy, you may need to rethink the car and maybe use a classic that is valuable that would be hot wired easily.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll tell you how, and I know, because my 2013 Q5 was stolen (I got it back).

Audi's have a VERY secure key system. As people point out, it's nearly impossible to steal due to the technology. Thus the way to do it is to bypass the security and get the keys.

Audi has something called an emergency key. It is a little plastic key that they give you when you buy the car. There is also a little holder for this key and a holster for it in the glove box.

Now this is an emergency key, NOT a valet key. There is a difference but this is lost on most people. The normal keys are big bulky electronic gizmos. One would think that a little plastic key couldn't possibly start the car. If it could then why have the big bulky electric keys we pay $$$ for.

When I bought my Q5 the dealer showed me the holster, the key holder etc. and called it a valet key. What he failed to say is that under no circumstances should you keep the key in the car. It's a regular key and other than the proximity sensor that allow you to open the car without touching the key it's the same and you can use it to start the engine.

If you get in there is a good chance you’ll find the key ready and waiting for you. The issue then, is getting INTO the car. Conveniently, Audi let’s everyone know if the car is unlocked, at least on some models. It does this via the retractable side mirrors. Park the car, lock it, and the mirrors flip up. Forget to lock it and the mirrors stay down.

So how do you steal an Audi?
1. Walk down the street looking for late model Audis with the mirrors down.
2. Open the glove box and there is a good chance there is a key there waiting for you.

Easy.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom
I'll tell you how, and I know, because my 2013 Q5 was stolen (I got it back).

Audi's have a VERY secure key system. As people point out, it's nearly impossible to steal due to the technology. Thus the way to do it is to bypass the security and get the keys.

Audi has something called an emergency key. It is a little plastic key that they give you when you buy the car. There is also a little holder for this key and a holster for it in the glove box.

Now this is an emergency key, NOT a valet key. There is a difference but this is lost on most people. The normal keys are big bulky electronic gizmos. One would think that a little plastic key couldn't possibly start the car. If it could then why have the big bulky electric keys we pay $$$ for.

When I bought my Q5 the dealer showed me the holster, the key holder etc. and called it a valet key. What he failed to say is that under no circumstances should you keep the key in the car. It's a regular key and other than the proximity sensor that allow you to open the car without touching the key it's the same and you can use it to start the engine.

If you get in there is a good chance you’ll find the key ready and waiting for you. The issue then, is getting INTO the car. Conveniently, Audi let’s everyone know if the car is unlocked, at least on some models. It does this via the retractable side mirrors. Park the car, lock it, and the mirrors flip up. Forget to lock it and the mirrors stay down.

So how do you steal an Audi?
1. Walk down the street looking for late model Audis with the mirrors down.
2. Open the glove box and there is a good chance there is a key there waiting for you.

Easy.
That's terrible!!!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about your character snagging the key off a kitchen table or key hook. Easy..and believeable