A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

radio wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio wont turn on

i check the fuse and its fine....when i turn the power on the radio doesn't light up or anything....the battery did die for a few days before but charged that and now the radio doesn't work
Old 12-15-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97beautifulaudi
i check the fuse and its fine....when i turn the power on the radio doesn't light up or anything....the battery did die for a few days before but charged that and now the radio doesn't work
Fuse in fuse panel or back of radio?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

panel..there was no fuse in the back of my radio
Old 12-15-2011, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

panel..there was no fuse in the back of my radio
Is this an Audi Delta CC head unit?

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/

I am going from memory but I think there's a 5A fuse next to plug II and III.

Check this post.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2017655

The power comes into the top plug III, on the Delta there is also power to pin 3 plug III, newer Concerts have K-line on that pin instead so it needs to be clipped if it's not a Delta.

Last edited by AudiMick; 12-15-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have experienced similar problems with my radio. Sometimes when I turn it on, the SAFE signal appears. Occasionally, when I turn it on I get nothing at all. Usually when that happens, it will work after I restart the car. I haven't pulled the unit out of the dash as I don't have the appropriate tool/key to do so without damaging something. Anybody know where I can get the tools/keys?

Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Hector Martinez (01-26-2022)
Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kessler
I have experienced similar problems with my radio. Sometimes when I turn it on, the SAFE signal appears. Occasionally, when I turn it on I get nothing at all. Usually when that happens, it will work after I restart the car. I haven't pulled the unit out of the dash as I don't have the appropriate tool/key to do so without damaging something. Anybody know where I can get the tools/keys?

Thank you.
E bay or you can make homemade ones with a dremel. I have heard Walmart has them, I haven't verify that.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218935

You can make them out of folder hangers or hack-saw blades.

Make sure you inset them the correct way, as you can really mess things up.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i been waiting all this time for my radio harness (to connect a aftermarket radio) to come in and it did. turns out after i connected everything that radio won't turn on....so my stock radio wasn't broken. i checked all the fuses and they are all good. why isn't my radio getting any power still???? these long quiet rides suck!!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i been waiting all this time for my radio harness (to connect a aftermarket radio) to come in and it did. turns out after i connected everything that radio won't turn on....so my stock radio wasn't broken. i checked all the fuses and they are all good. why isn't my radio getting any power still???? these long quiet rides suck!!
You need to check what power is missing, there is constant power on plug III pin 7 and switched power on pin 4. There is also power on plug III pin 3 on the 96-98.5 cars. Cut that out in the aftermarket harness if it's there.

There are a couple of signals that come out of the head unit for the antenna amp and external amp if you have one. Wires are blue and blue/ white on aftermarket looms. Sometimes a problem with the amp control will take everything down.

Also make sure you have ground on plug III pin 8 without that nothing works.

If all else fails you could buy an inline fuse and run power direct from 75X under the steering wheel.

Not specifically part of this problem but if your car is Bose, it's a little more complicated to wire, hopefully you got the extra harness with RCAs if that's what is going on

Last edited by AudiMick; 12-25-2011 at 10:03 AM.