A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

RE: 1998 Audi A4 1.8t suspension question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1998 Audi A4 1.8t suspension question!

Hey guys,

so this is the first time posting in any forum, but I couldn't find an answer so I figured I'd start a new thread.

I'm a new audi owner, I recently purchased a 1998 Audi A4 1.8T (bamboo colour I believe. its Gold, but I think that's what they called the colour).

Anyway, the rear struts are blown and found used OEM sport suspension off a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T (I know they're sport suspension because they're red, as opposed to black from what I've read in other forums). Now I was at the shop today and I notice that the new struts I had just picked up are about 1" - 2" shorter than the ones I currently have on (the black ones). The mechanic who was looking at it said they may not fit considering the difference and said it potentially might be TOO low to put on. I found this odd considering they had just come off a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T... Now I didn't mind the ride height to be lower because the gap between the wheel and the fender is about a fist (which is not that nice looking) but I also do not want to scrape the ground...

so my question now is:

will the red sport suspensions fit my car regardless of them being shorter?

* I will be using my stock A4 springs, I've read that if you use sport springs it will increase ride height instead of lower.*

again if this question has been answered, I apologize.

Thanks in Advance!,

Vince
Old 09-19-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Vince,

The sport shocks should fit your car with the non-sport springs. I believe the difference in height with sport suspension is only an inch lower than the standard suspension. It would be best to pair the sport shocks with sport springs for improved handling, while lowering the car very slightly.

How many miles are on the used shocks? Personally, I would recommend buying a set of used sport springs and new Koni shocks or Bilstein shocks for better handling.

I've never done the shock swap on my car since it came sport suspension, but I'm sure this topic has been discussed in older threads so, feel free to do a quick search.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by The Stig
Hey Vince,

The sport shocks should fit your car with the non-sport springs. I believe the difference in height with sport suspension is only an inch lower than the standard suspension. It would be best to pair the sport shocks with sport springs for improved handling, while lowering the car very slightly.

How many miles are on the used shocks? Personally, I would recommend buying a set of used sport springs and new Koni shocks or Bilstein shocks for better handling.

I've never done the shock swap on my car since it came sport suspension, but I'm sure this topic has been discussed in older threads so, feel free to do a quick search.

Thanks for the reply! and I think there is only about 70,000km's on them he said he's had them for awhile, but he went from stock, to sport suspension, to coilovers to airlift. I got it off a friend of friend of mine.

The suspensions did come with springs, but one of the ones on the rear are broken ): so I was planning on using the stock springs, but is there a greater difference from using Stock springs on sport suspension ?

Thanks,
Vince
Old 09-20-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent Rivera
Thanks for the reply! and I think there is only about 70,000km's on them he said he's had them for awhile, but he went from stock, to sport suspension, to coilovers to airlift. I got it off a friend of friend of mine.

The suspensions did come with springs, but one of the ones on the rear are broken ): so I was planning on using the stock springs, but is there a greater difference from using Stock springs on sport suspension ?

Thanks,
Vince
Not always a great idea, the shocks and springs are typically chosen to match each other and the shocks will take a set "mid range" position.

Using stock springs will move the shocks to the top of their range, it may drive like a Chevy impala.

The labor is the expensive part, just get some stock cheap monroe shocks if you are going with original springs or some aftermarket sports springs with the used sports shocks.

Also make sure you are not mixing quattro and non quattro.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Not always a great idea, the shocks and springs are typically chosen to match each other and the shocks will take a set "mid range" position.

Using stock springs will move the shocks to the top of their range, it may drive like a Chevy impala.

The labor is the expensive part, just get some stock cheap monroe shocks if you are going with original springs or some aftermarket sports springs with the used sports shocks.

Also make sure you are not mixing quattro and non quattro.

Oh, okay. My friends dad is a mechanic and said he'd help me out with the installation. I'll probably pick up the matching sport springs online or if not liek you said buy a set of aftermarket springs. (although, would the aftermarket springs make the shocks last less?)

As for mixing quattro and non-quattro, is there a true way to tell ? I've held both of the shocks I have (Non-Sport and Sport) and the only difference I see is the length of the shocks themselves...

Thanks again guys! and again sorry if these questions were answered.. I have tried doing research on this topic but can't find the right answer. (until now!)
Old 09-21-2014, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend asking the friend that donated the shocks to you, if they came from a quattro and non-quattro A4.

The mounting position of rear springs on a B5 A4 quattro differ from a regular B5 Audi/VW FWD. Acutally, the rear suspension is completely different between the quattro and non-quattro.