A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

In regards to EdP's ordeal. I found this on a website. This post is only to inform. LONG

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In regards to EdP's ordeal. I found this on a website. This post is only to inform. LONG

I would like to state that the following statements/opinions are not those of Dickball or any of his affiliates. Please take note of section three. I know this is not exactly what happend but this is just info i found.

1: A Car Warranty Is Not An Entitlement
During the past thirty years in the automotive industry, it has been my experience that the phrase, "It's covered under warranty," is music to the ear of the motorist. Conversely, the phrase, "It's not covered under warranty," is received with much dissatisfaction. To dispel misunderstandings about warranties, I think a little education is needed.
First off, a car warranty is not an entitlement! It is an agreement between you and the car manufacturer. You are responsible for following the specified maintenance requirements set forth by the manufacturer. By doing so, you have fulfilled your responsibility to the warranty agreement. Now the manufacturer is obligated to you to perform any repairs due to a defect from poor workmanship, or a failed part for the time or mileage set forth by the terms of the warranty agreement.

2: Misunderstandings And Warranty Claims
Why all the misunderstandings surrounding warranty claims? I think it is because so many car buyers see a car warranty is an entitlement and not an agreement. A small number of "professionals" in the industry reinforce this attitude by telling consumers what they want to hear. "Oh no problem! It's covered under warranty," they say. But when it comes time to fulfill their promise, they can't because the service you need isn't covered! Also, there are a few service personnel who perpetuate this idea by abusing the system and covering things that aren't really under warranty.

3: Why Carmakers Scrutinize Warranty Claims
As a result of dealership service departments' loose spending of carmakers' money on warranty claims, car manufacturers now scrutinize every warranty claim that crosses their desks. Why? If dealers aren't going to be careful with the manufacturer's money, the carmaker has to look after its own interests. So, whenever anything questionable comes up in a warranty claim, the magnifying glass comes out with laser-like intensity.
To consumers, this appears as if the manufacturer is trying to get out of covering a particular repair, when in actuality, the repair in question may not fall under the terms of the warranty agreement. Failure to qualify as a warranty-covered repair can be due to a number of things ranging from abuse, expiration of the warranty because of time or mileage or an uncovered part.

4: Parts And Services Covered By Warranties
Let's shift gears and move on to an explanation of parts and services that ARE covered by warranties. First, the car manufacturer is responsible for the parts it makes. For example, engine, transmission, suspension, steering, computer and emission control devices, instruments, chassis wiring and anything else that they manufacture. These components and systems may have different time and mileage coverages.
Maintenance items such as filters are not covered by warranty. In addition, wearable items such as belts, hoses, brakes and tires are expected to wear out and, consequently, are not covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

5: Warranty And Parts Not Made By Car Manufacturers
Are parts that are not made by the car's manufacturer covered by warranty? Take tires, for instance. Tires fall under the tire manufacturer's warranty (rather than the carmaker's warranty), unless the tire fails due to a faulty component made by the carmaker. If this happens, then repair or replacement of the tire is the responsibility of the carmaker.
Other items that fall under their own manufacturer's warranty are after-market stereo systems, conversion components, mobile video systems or any other item that was installed after the car rolled off the manufacturing line. If you have any of these items in your new car, you will find the warranty paperwork in the car when you pick it up.
Warranty nightmares can be avoided by understanding what's covered and what's not in your new car. Before you need repairs, educate yourself about your car's warranty.

6: Three Types of Automotive Warranties
Bumper-To-Bumper Coverage: A comprehensive warranty that normally covers all items under the basic and drivetrain warranty for the period specified by the manufacturer.

Corrosion Warranty: A warranty that covers rust-through perforation on sheet metal with actual holes. Surface corrosion from nicks, chips and scratches are not covered (this is not the fault of the manufacturer). Coverage varies with each manufacturer. Check your warranty information (or check with your dealer) for specific details.

Customized Conversions: Customized vehicles like vans and limousines are covered under separate warranties for the add-ons not installed by the manufacturer. Be sure to obtain a written warranty disclosure when purchasing these types of vehicles. Make sure you (and your dealer) completely understand the ins and outs of conversion vehicle warranties. Nightmares often result because of misunderstandings about the conversion warranty, often when it's too late ... after the customer has taken delivery of the vehicle.

- Tom Torbjornsen

Tom has worked more than 27 years in the automotive industry and nearly a decade in automotive talk radio, all focused on helping drivers get the best out of their cars.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what a dumb sig.

;-)

thanks for the info buddy. Times like this when I kinda wish I HAD a warranty that could be exploited.

Oh whell.

btw-I just got my suspension in the mail today! Right before I had to go to work....doh!
Old 11-13-2001, 08:00 AM
Elder Member

Default No you don't. Those of us out of the warranty period................

.....are truly free.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:01 AM

you poor bastard
Old 11-13-2001, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is common sense stuff and does not apply to Ed's case.

His car is 100% stock and should be fixed...PERIOD!
Old 11-13-2001, 08:14 AM
Rest In Peace

Agreed.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:15 AM
Former Vendor

I'm free at last...
Old 11-13-2001, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrong -- A warranty IS an entitlement to service.

If the warranty period hasn't expired, and the owner hasn't done anything to void the warranty, then the warranty definitely IS an entitlement to service within the scope of the warranty. <b>You pay for warranty service when you buy your car. You're entitled to it. Period.</b>
The following users liked this post:
frqflyer (06-02-2021)
Old 11-13-2001, 08:32 AM

Default Nice info, but it isn't relevant to Ed's case IMO.

I think that automakers have an obligation to provide a vehicle that is completely functionable and reliable right off the showroom floor, and for a reasonable period of time (measured in miles or years I suppose).

Clearly, in Ed's case Audi was more than happy to take his $$ but in return supplied him with a vehicle that is, essentially, good for nothing.

Normally crap like this happens to me - I make one of those once-in-a-lifetime purchases and then all hell breaks loose. I fell awful that one of our guys has to go through this......I'd reconsider buying an S4 now....had plans to get a used one in a year or so, but this kind of puts me off.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:57 AM

Not exactly; part of the purchase price of the car is warranty

Quick Reply: In regards to EdP's ordeal. I found this on a website. This post is only to inform. LONG