A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

replaced serpintine belt tensioner, still shakes and makes same noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced serpintine belt tensioner, still shakes and makes same noise

The tensioner that was replaced, was purchased just 6 months ago from esctunning, so the warranty took care of the replacement but when i took out the tensioner and spun the roller, there was no noise that would normally indicate, that the bearings were bad. it was smooth and silent.

So I'm going to send back the one i took out, so i can get my money back.

I am still puzzled on why the tensioner is still shaking and making a loud noise, whenever i am at a complete stop at idle and when i put the car in drive.

When i replaced the 1st tensioner, there was no noise, nor was the tensioner, shaking at all. It was perfectly still with no noise.

anyone have any idea what it could be?

Could the serpentine belt cause this shaking?

when i look down into the space, between the engine fan and the tensioner, i can see the roller that the belt, rolls against at the bottom of the tensioner and its shaking and kicking up slightly as the belt, rolls against it, is this normal? Is it normal for the nub that you grab with a wrench, to release the tension, to shake back and forth, very rapidly?

Both the new and old tensioner is doing and sounding the exact way, so there is nothing wrong with either of them. what gives?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This B5 thread is dead or is filled with inexperienced B5 mechanics. over 60 views and not one response.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by morpheousx
This B5 thread is dead or is filled with inexperienced B5 mechanics. over 60 views and not one response.
It's a weird problem, not fully diagnosed, and no one here is being paid to answer questions. What happened when you spun all the other things the belt drives? What engine in is your car?
Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed.
It's a mutual help society around here...

If you've replaced the tensioner twice, I think its safe to rule that out.
What noise is it making?
Screeching, rattling, growling?
What sort of mileage are we talking too?

On the V6's theres an idler pulley behind the engine fan, everything else is an accessory...
My money's on the alternator
Old 03-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, didn't mean to come off, demanding. I just was making an assessment on the lack of activity on this forum.

I have a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T AWM 180,000 miles.

It's not making any screeching, chirping noises. Yes, its making a vibrating or rattling noise.

The tensioner itself is moving slightly back and forth, very quickly. The 1st time i replaced the tensioner, the replacement never shaked, it was steady and still with no noise.

Then out of nowhere, it started making this noise, just like it did, before i replaced it.

I thought i got a bad tensioner, being i only had it installed in the car for 6 month and i started to hear the noise again but that turned out to not be the case.

The new tensioner, makes the exact same noise as the 6 month old tensioner did.

when i put the car in reverse, in drive or just idle at a light, i hear the tensioner.

Its more of a "vibration" than anything. which makes sense, being when i engage the emergency brake and put her in drive, then lift the hood to look at the tensioner vibrates and makes this noise.

But when i turn the steering wheel to either the far left or right, the sound goes away, when i position the wheel straight, the noise comes back.

Could it be the belt that powers all the pulleys?

I purchased 2 new belts from auto zone. Dayco brand for the AC and one for the Alternator, tensioner, fan and power steering pump. I haven't installed them yet but if i can't get any suggestions from you fellas, then i think it'll be my next step to fixing this annoying noise and symptom.

Can i change the belt that powers the power steering pump, fan, alternator, crank without needing to get under the car? can i replace it from the top of the engine? how about the AC belt? can i replace that one from the top, too? or must have gain access from under the car with the belly pan, removed?

any thoughts on what it could be? Could a worn belt with cracks or slippage, cause my serpentine belt tensioner to make this noise?

Last edited by morpheousx; 03-20-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
It's a weird problem, not fully diagnosed, and no one here is being paid to answer questions. What happened when you spun all the other things the belt drives? What engine in is your car?
well, i never completely removed the belt, i just flipped it off, after releasing the tension on the belt via the serpentine belt tensioner, so i only was able to roll the power steering pump only a little just to see the fan spin as i moved the belt. didn't hear anything that would indicate any misaligned pulley but then again, i am not experienced enough to diagnose a misaligned pulley. lol

The was my 1st time, replacing the serpentine belt tensioner. I was successful, being i did replace it but it didn't fix my issue as it wasn't the issue to begin with. lol
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Agreed.
It's a mutual help society around here...

If you've replaced the tensioner twice, I think its safe to rule that out.
What noise is it making?
Screeching, rattling, growling?
What sort of mileage are we talking too?

On the V6's theres an idler pulley behind the engine fan, everything else is an accessory...
My money's on the alternator
Its a 4 cylinder 2001 A4 1.8T AWM B5 180,000 miles. what did you mean, your bet its on the alternator? in what sense? how? Do you mean its the belt? if so, its the belt that turns several over pulleys and not just the alternator. So what say you? ^_^
Old 03-21-2014, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by morpheousx
what did you mean, your bet its on the alternator? in what sense? how? Do you mean its the belt? if so, its the belt that turns several over pulleys and not just the alternator. So what say you? ^_^
What I meant was you were describing a rattle which looks to indicate an accessory on the serpentine belts route is beginning to fail. As the alternator hangs down the bottom of the engine, I was speculating it may be the cause.

However, as your issue seems dependant on the steering, I'm leaning more towards the pump.
At full-lock, the power steering rack opens bypass ports which makes the fluid cycle through the pump unrestricted and unloads the pump. This will only happen at full-lock. Any partial lock, the pump will remain under load.
Is there any groaning or vibrations from the steering as you move the wheel?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
What I meant was you were describing a rattle which looks to indicate an accessory on the serpentine belts route is beginning to fail. As the alternator hangs down the bottom of the engine, I was speculating it may be the cause.

However, as your issue seems dependent on the steering, I'm leaning more towards the pump.
At full-lock, the power steering rack opens bypass ports which makes the fluid cycle through the pump unrestricted and unloads the pump. This will only happen at full-lock. Any partial lock, the pump will remain under load.
Is there any groaning or vibrations from the steering as you move the wheel?
No sir, the steering wheel is smooth as butter with no vibration, other than the normal sounds the power steering pump makes, when you turn the wheel.

I'm going to make a video and post it on YouTube and link it in my thread, that way i can take the guess work out of the sounds it making.

I will get footage of the serpentine belt tensioner at idle and in drive with the emergency brake, engaged.

I will also turn the steering wheel to the far left and right, so you fellas can get a sense of the inner working of the accessories and pulleys and belts and the tensioner.

I will turn on the heat in my car and then engage the AC suppressor, so you can see if the tensioner changes in its behavior. which i haven't seen at this point.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the video of the engine, i know its pretty noisy, because of the wind blowing, so you can't really hear any distinct noises.

I hope this helps a little to diagnose, where the noise is coming from.

Quick Reply: replaced serpintine belt tensioner, still shakes and makes same noise