A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Several issues, please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several issues, please help

I have recently purchased a 1996 a4 2.8 12v 5 speed.

First off, the oil light will intermittently come on throughout rpm range then go off, then come back on, and so on. Im not sure what this could be. I have recently did an oil change and put in Valvoline max life 10w 40.

Second, the engine will have some vibration, getting worse as I accelerate up to the redline.

Third, the car makes a pretty audible knocking noise when I let out the clutch and accelerate in first and second gear. I think it might be the clutch because the guy that I bought it from said he put a stage 2 clutch in it, and I think he might have installed it incorrectly or something.

Fourth, the driver seat does not move back and forth but it does recline.

Fifth, the radio does not work. the lights will turn on with the dash lights but the display will not turn on nor will it play anything through the speakers.

any input/help on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

First and Second sound like your engine is starving for oil. Did you do an oil flush (with a chemical flushing agent) prior to your oil change by any chance? Sludging can be an issue when regular oil changes aren't performed, and after a lot of miles, the oil pick up may be clogged or the oil pump itself may be failing. Chemical flushes can help clean out sludge, but there is a real danger of dislodging particles which may clog vital oil galleries (it's a two edged sword if not done regularly).
Poor oil pressure is very dangerous for engines, as it means poor lubrication. You need to fix it.
I'd be looking first at the oil pick-up strainer as it's very common for these to clog up over time, unfortunately it means taking your lower sump off...
If you do do this, you'll need a new gasket - you'll have a choice of two, buy the complicated looking one!

As for the fourth, which lever are you pulling? If equipped, the big grab handle style lever is for raising and lowering the seat. The smaller flat lever on the other side of the seat (outside I think) is for forward and backward motion. The seat track and rodding is a very robust and simple design on this car, so it's not likely to break.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem #5: The radio fuse could be blown so, I recommend checking the fuse panel. If the fuse is good, you might want to try removing the radio for further inspection.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by The Stig
Problem #5: The radio fuse could be blown so, I recommend checking the fuse panel. If the fuse is good, you might want to try removing the radio for further inspection.

it was the fuse in the back of the radio but now its in safe mode and im pretty sure I have to get a code from the dealer to unlock it.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
First and Second sound like your engine is starving for oil. Did you do an oil flush (with a chemical flushing agent) prior to your oil change by any chance? Sludging can be an issue when regular oil changes aren't performed, and after a lot of miles, the oil pick up may be clogged or the oil pump itself may be failing. Chemical flushes can help clean out sludge, but there is a real danger of dislodging particles which may clog vital oil galleries (it's a two edged sword if not done regularly).
Poor oil pressure is very dangerous for engines, as it means poor lubrication. You need to fix it.
I'd be looking first at the oil pick-up strainer as it's very common for these to clog up over time, unfortunately it means taking your lower sump off...
If you do do this, you'll need a new gasket - you'll have a choice of two, buy the complicated looking one!

As for the fourth, which lever are you pulling? If equipped, the big grab handle style lever is for raising and lowering the seat. The smaller flat lever on the other side of the seat (outside I think) is for forward and backward motion. The seat track and rodding is a very robust and simple design on this car, so it's not likely to break.

I did not do a chemical flush. but after I changed the oil the car has been running significantly hotter(coolant temp). I cant wrap my head around it so later today it will be going to my local Audi dealer to get looked at.

as far as the seat, it is an electric power seat so no levers. but I did some testing with an electrical meter yesterday and determined it must be burnt out motors.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steven007
it was the fuse in the back of the radio but now its in safe mode and im pretty sure I have to get a code from the dealer to unlock it.
You could try looking in your manual for the code or contacting the previous owner to get it, before heading to the dealership. In the event that you are unable to obtain the code, I would try to call dealership and give them your vin number to see if the code is on file (if it was ever retrieved in the past by a dealer).

If they don’t have the code on file, you’ll need to get car scanned by them and have radio programmed with the code. It might cost about 30 - 45 mins of worth of labor. On the brightside, you’ll receive a copy of the code on your receipt for future use.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Fair enough - I wasn't aware they had fully powered seats that early!