A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Stop Lights not working & night lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window not going up, just down.

Hello,

So i checked alot of threads and its kind of obvious its the regualtor of the window. I mean that whole motor assembly.

It will not go up, and sometimes down.

I removed the whole motor from the door, holding it in my hand it does the same.

I press any of the 2 buttons, it goes down...going up it works for 0.5sec then stops.
Pressing continuosly it will work again...for 0.5sec.

Same effect as if someone else presses down on 2nd button while I try to bring it up from the main button.

Is it clearly that whole motor with the stupid rivets?
And any other solutions for the riveting part, maybe some normal screws?

Last edited by weaselciuy; 10-01-2014 at 02:00 AM. Reason: fixed 1st problem, just the window not going up so edited instead of new thread.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Had the same symptoms, easy fix

Went through same issue this summer with the kid's A4. First look upon removing the interior door panel said it was the regulator clips. Ordered a set, installed, and still no work. Looked closer and realized the cable that the motor wound up was trashed. This was not obvious. The window switch operated just as you describe. Worked for a second then stopped. Ordered a regulator w/o motor. Installation took a while as I had to drill out the rivets. Replaced with small bolts/nuts. Took some time and imagination.

Look carefully at the cable that runs the window up and down. In our case the regulator clips broke, then when the kid continued to operated the window trying to get it to close, the cable wound around itself inside the gear box that attached directly to the motor. This was not visible. It just was logical that the cable was not feeding in and out of the box properly. The motor was stopping and/or reversing because of the cable being wound around itself inside the gear box.

Regulator kits are surprisingly cheap. Got one off the internet for around $50. Just be sure to verify it fits your model year etc.