Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 135129

Default Stupid headlight question - are low and high beam separate bulbs

This maybe a stupid question -

Please see the attached picture of the driver side headlight on my 2000 Audi A4 / 2.8L. I am trying to figure out which light is which.

The one labeled "C" is clearly the turn light signal. Can you tell me if "A" and "B" are separate bulbs for high and low beams?

Right now, when I turn on the light on high beam, "A" turns on. If it put on low beam, "B" flickers for a few seconds and then turns off. My questions are -

1. Is "A" supposed to be on for low beam?
2. What is "B" for?
3. Any ideas on what I can do to troubleshoot what is wrong with "B"?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlight.jpg (76.0 KB, 61 views)
pushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 207830

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkin View Post

Please see the attached picture of the driver side headlight on my 2000 Audi A4 / 2.8L. I am trying to figure out which light is which.

The one labeled "C" is clearly the turn light signal. Can you tell me if "A" and "B" are separate bulbs for high and low beams?

Right now, when I turn on the light on high beam, "A" turns on. If it put on low beam, "B" flickers for a few seconds and then turns off. My questions are -

2. What is "B" for?

Thanks!

A- is your high beams
B- Is your low beams
C- is your turn signal.
Yes your high and lows are seperate bulbs.
No A is not suppose to be on for low beams.

you may have a bad connection, or bulb, or maybe even headlight switch.
a4quattrojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 135129

Thank you for the clarification.

Here is what I found about -

When I opened the headlight casing I noticed that the connector the to bulb is pretty much burned. I think that explains the flickering. The connector is built in the ballast. So I am guessing I need to replace the whole ballast?

I have attached the picture.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas besides replacing the entire ballast.

Also, this part is pretty pricey, if anyone has this or have any suggestions where I can find one that is not too expensive, let me know!

Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0709.jpg (38.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0710.jpg (30.8 KB, 53 views)
pushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 207830

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification.

Here is what I found about -

When I opened the headlight casing I noticed that the connector the to bulb is pretty much burned. I think that explains the flickering. The connector is built in the ballast. So I am guessing I need to replace the whole ballast?

I have attached the picture.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas besides replacing the entire ballast.

Also, this part is pretty pricey, if anyone has this or have any suggestions where I can find one that is not too expensive, let me know!

Thanks!!
Well there is a couple things you can do here, this is just what i would do IMO. upgrade your ballasts they have kits on ebay for like 40 bucks and higher. or just get a replacement one. there might be other options.
a4quattrojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 214018

Quote:

2. What is "B" for?

Thanks!
Im gonna thank you for this "Stupid Post"...it saved me from pulling down the whole dashboard to fix nothing. i didnt know that the high and low beams are two different bulbs. again THANK YOU!
djgoldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
20055, a4, audi, b5, b6, beam, beams, bulb, bulbs, dis, head, headlight, high, lights, low, separate, seperate