A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

TICKING/CLICKING NOISE WHEN ACCELERATING.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I as well have this problem. 97 audi a4 2.8 quattro.

Problem persists at roughly 2400 RPM , when accelerating I will hear a ticking til the car is cruising at about 80kph+ or RPM are lower than 2400, then the noise will go away.

No noise when car is idling, and less noise when revved in park.

Done lots of research on this issue and some say its an exhaust leak and others say its the lifters. If it were an exhaust leak would the car still be able to pass Etest? I got my Etest done and passed when this problem was occuring.

Any information would be amazing!

thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Could be the hydraulic lifters have some dirt or sludge in them. Try a can of oil detergent in the oil for several hundred miles and see if it goes away. If yes then change the oil afterwards as the oil will be quite dirty. All oils have some detergent in them but if oil changes were not done regularly sludge can build up - especially in turbo cars where the oil will see more heat.

The other possible cause could be the injectors. Try a can of BG44K in the gas for this issue.

If neither one solves the issue try a local independent Audi shop - look on the local forums for recommendations.
ok ill try these two options. but please tell me none of these options will make it worse.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i shud also let u know that a oil change was done recently so would that mean its something else (or the later).
Old 05-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mtroxel
So it's not when the car's going fast, it's when you're spooling up the motor. Even in neutral? Almost sounds like a fan hitting something.
yes its like that. but i dont think its the fan.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have you had Mrs. djgoldeneye rev the motor while you move your ears around under the hood? We're all really just throwing **** against the wall here.

Oh, and what motor is it?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

LOL. The most important piece of information for this thread is still missing.

Without engine and trans info, the thread basically says, "My car is making a noise. What is it?"
Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you had Mrs. djgoldeneye rev the motor while you move your ears around under the hood? We're all really just throwing **** against the wall here.

v6 engine im not sure if its the 30v. 5spd manual transmission. and no i didnt ask the mrs to rev while i listen around. thanks for all suggestions. im new to this so i dont know what to ask for most times. please bear in mind.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

someone told me to make a 1 minute video im goin to do that as soon as possible. ill use that vid to show all that i can.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Your 99 A4 V6 is a 30 valve, engine code AHA.

When you have someone rev the motor, keep in mind that it will move a bit on its mounts. That means the fan might rub against a wire that's too close, and the movement will put stress on the exhaust gaskets (a small exhaust leak can make noise). But also listen for a clicking noise from inside the head/valve cover area. On the 30 valve motor there is a cam chain tensioner that can get noisey when its on the way out. Anything you can do to locate the noise would be helpful.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your 99 A4 V6 is a 30 valve, engine code AHA.

When you have someone rev the motor, keep in mind that it will move a bit on its mounts. That means the fan might rub against a wire that's too close, and the movement will put stress on the exhaust gaskets (a small exhaust leak can make noise). But also listen for a clicking noise from inside the head/valve cover area. On the 30 valve motor there is a cam chain tensioner that can get noisey when its on the way out. Anything you can do to locate the noise would be helpful.
ok ill do my best to locate where the sound is coming from. thanks again.

Quick Reply: TICKING/CLICKING NOISE WHEN ACCELERATING.